Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by roadrider, October 4, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. roadrider

roadrider New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1995 explorer "limited"
    wanted to intro myself. just aquired a '95 explorer and am finding myself immediately looking for info about my new ride. the transmission is not engaging well and the o/d off light is blinking. also the explorer wont shift into overdrive. any help with my newest venture would be appreciated. thanks for having a forum for ford rookies! :)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. G-96XLT

G-96XLT Active Member

City, State:
    Toronto, ONT
    '96 XLT , '00 Sport
    Welcome

one common problem is the OD band is broken or one of the other bands. it will give a bad code, such as slow solenoid switch or similar but the actual problem is a band

if you drop the tranny cover there might be a part floating around in the pan

The band is cheap $20 and maybe $50 for rebuild seals, but the job is not exactly for the do it yourselfer, and maybe costs the same as the entire vehicle if you paid a mechanic. If really need a tranny the best deal might be picking one up from a wreckers.

4. roadrider

roadrider New Member

1995 explorer "limited"
    preliminary quotes are at $2200-2400 for a complete rebuild of the trans. or around 1800 for a replacement from a wrecker.

5. Spdrcer34

Spdrcer34 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bremerton, WA
    1992 Explorer XL
    Get a new Trans....It's not worth the savings on an unknown Tranny, that will repeat the same problem..

Ryan

6. EDFORD8

EDFORD8 New Member

City, State:
    Coalport, PA
    1998 V8 Mountaineer
    could be just a blown valve body gasket...i saw that alot in rangers and explorers with a 4r44e trans...gives the same symptoms

7. roadrider

roadrider New Member

1995 explorer "limited"
    dropped it off tonight at another tranny shop to get a second opinion. really have to weigh the options of spending that much money on a vehicle that only books for that much. they will run a full computer diagnosis and several other tests for no cost. cant hurt to let someone else have a look.