New Navajo Truggy build | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navajo Truggy build

Keeping the echo going, this rig is awesome! Have you had enough time in the seat to give a thumbs up or down for the Kevlar clutch you used?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kevlar Clutch

The Kevlar clutch seems to be holding up just fine. I've got it hot a few times. It never slipped though. Thumbs up.

Memorial weekend Lake Arrowhead trip

Check this video out. The video begins just after i was ascending a hill when I hit a rock on the side of the trail. The rock sent the Navajo up and laid over on the side. When I re fired it I hit record. The video begins just after I tipped over

http://youtu.be/d68VwlBjgqo

This video was a shot of the front suspension through the fire roads. I got a little air time. I mainly wanted to see how my center mounted limit straps were working.

http://youtu.be/6Vvdww4chgI

Now that's cool that you can right yourself after flopping over!

Fox ATS steering stabilizer install

I have not ran a steering stabalizer on the Navajo this whole time. To be honest its not that bad. The old swampers (one of them has 1/2 gallon of green slime) with steele bead lock wheels will run down the highway at 75 no problem.

I have been on the look out for a good steering stabalizer. When Fox came out with this adjustable through shaft stabilizer I jumped all over it. Here is how I installed it.

I removed the coil overs so I could cycle the suspension. While the truck was laying on the bump stops I found the best location for the stabilizer. I marked where a bung needed to be welded on the drag link.

IMG_3025_zps335e5b5a.jpg

My Tig welding station

IMG_3026_zps5e11a951.jpg

IMG_3031_zpsc9fea0a7.jpg

The other end of the Fox shock attaches with a machined aluminum clamp. Of course the shock was made for jeeps. I had to get the clamp machined to fit 1 1/2" OD tubing.

IMG_3047_zpsd2a3eef2.jpg

Front suspension at full bump. Everything fits
IMG_3036_zps9a307cea.jpg

Here is the stabilizer installed
IMG_3044_zps0d9b6ad9.jpg

IMG_3045_zpsbc8c43fe.jpg

I had to drive it home yesterday to see how the stabilizer felt. I didn't touch any adjustment, just drove it like it came.
I usually don't take the freeway home but I wanted to feel this thing.
It still dances around the freeway but I think thats because of the old Swampers. The steering wheel doesn't move, even while hitting bumps. Its definitely a big improvement. I'm glad I held out for this shock.:salute:
IMG_3050_zpsca08be82.jpg

A real treat to see your fab. work, keeps getting better and better.

Any updates!? hope u keep us up to date still in love with ur build.

Update

No real big progress. I've been using the hell out of the truck though.
I got rid of the 37" swampers instead I bought some aluminum wheels and 35" General Grabbers. It handles way better now
Finally found a Manual shift ECM, Found a Hurst shifter, Another manual transfer Case (The old one's oil looked like red metallic flake paint)
New Rear axle shafts (one wouldn't stop leaking and the other was slightly bent)

P.S
If you can get together the scratch go buy the Fox steering stabilizer. Its bad ass.

We rolled (Up a hill)

We had a little incident this last weekend at Truck Haven. I talked my wife into taking the wheel while the the kids and I video taped. She made a mistake while going up a hill and didn't realize the trail turned at the top. She went strait (which was going back down the other side). I yelled "LEFT"...she turned left alright with full throttle. We traversed the side of the hill, hitting rutted trails that were there until we finally rolled on the passenger side. No one was hurt, and I never realized my wife had the monster truck right foot. I was proud of her to give it gas and try and save it.

We tipped it back on its wheels and it fired right up. We continued on our day 4x4 trip. This time with the wife in the passenger seat.

image_zps78f31712.jpg

image_3_zps79b20f8c.jpg

IMG_3533_zps99f7d8f6.jpg

IMG_3534_zpsb5afa810.jpg

IMG_3549_zps977a43f8.jpg

GOPR0024_zps82602392.jpg

Great build! A lot of the same ideas I had for mine.

Update

V8 Conversion comming soon

I have to say..This little 4.0 runs amazing. Since I converted it to a 5 spd and manual shift transfer case along with my slipper Kevlar clutch....Its just about the best combination you can put in a Explorer.

But it must be removed to make room for the 5.0.

Comming this summer

..What are you going to do with the old trns, motor, etc.?..:popcorn:

... how much for the whole set? ;-)

I'm not sure at the moment. Probably in the 1K range.

Its a 94 4.0 with 80K miles with working AC
Kevlar slipper clutch
5Spd (80K). Very tight with Hurst Shifter
BW 1354 Manual Shift TC
5spd ECU
Peddles

Sounds like a good set and price. My 4.0 has over 325k of hard earned miles, and the manual that I swapped in at 300k is from a junkyard... unrestored. With unknown history.

So when you do the swap please keep me in the loop!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Progress photos

Here are a few progress photos. My goal for the last few weeks has been to obtain more up travel. This means cutting off bump stops, notching frame, new track bar and mount, pitman arm, etc.

I was able to gain about 3" of additional up travel. My plan after the V8 is to lower the vehicle's CG.

IMG_3783_zpsc5318ccb.jpg

IMG_3797_zps57d5ea23.jpg

IMG_3798_zpse0ccb060.jpg

IMG_3799_zps27eeb745.jpg

IMG_3832_zps4ea6f3f5.jpg

IMG_3806_zps696b5aef.jpg

IMG_3834_zpsb22e8313.jpg

IMG_3883_zps55bf1dde.jpg

Back