• Register Today It's free!

new owner info please

ukphil

Reaction score
City, State
gloucester
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
Hi just bought a 98 explorer lovely looking great car but people saying nightmare to own are they good for every day family car. Are there any down sides.Would love to hear from anyone on this matter thanks Phil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome Phil,

I've owned mine for 9 years now. I use it everyday and not had too many issues. The biggest expense is the timing chains, which is an engine out job. Parts can be hard to get over here but there are many sites in the USA who will happily ship to the UK. If you would like to come along to Ford Fair (Silverstone) this Sunday you will be able to chat to many more owners as we have a stand.

As with any car this age it is a matter of DIY and not take it down the garage for any work. You will find all the information that you need here on this board to keep your explorer running properly.

Hello mate, welcome to the best forum in the interweb thingy!
As Howard said- only really the chains issue to have done.
If I can help you with anything- let me know mate, have done most jobs to both of mine over the years.

Welcome to the Forums :)

There is a wealth of knowledge on these boards, and not most of it from our Americans Cousins either ;) But if you're not sure, search the boards for what you are after; failing which, post up here and someone will reply.

If finding bits is hard, then do as I do: visit the US regularly and load up!

Welcome to the family Phil
I use mine every day and since doing the chains (bought it knowing the fault) all i have had to do is a ball joint and a lock motor one side and lock adjustment the other, and a new stereo as i got the screen fade.
Obviously the petrol cost is high but LPG can easily be fitted if you don't have it already.
A lot of the guys on here will give it a go when it comes to repairs and between us we can cover pretty much everything. If you can get up to silverstone on Sunday you'll have a great day out as well as meeting some of the good guys from here.
If you haven't already get a flickr or photobucket site so you can post some piccies of your lovely new motor

thanks

Hello again, Thankyou for your thoughts,welcoming me and support really appreciate it. Will try to come Sunday, just two questions if I could, how do you know when the chains need changing and is lpg conversion expensive. Thanks again, love the site and am looking forward to owning my car being part of an elite club. will post photos of my explorer as soon as I can

Chain rattle shows up as a 'pinking noise' that occurs at about 2,400 rpm. Can't help on the LPG conversion though, but some at the fair have done it so would be able to answer your questions.

Another way to post pictures is to become an elite member. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/payments.php . This also helps support the costs of running the forum.

Thanks Howard, really helpful I can see this was a good idea to join this site. Do you have alot of meetings during the year or is it an annual thing, thanks again best 4 x 4 I've driven

Hope the meet goes well, gonna try and make it later today

Back