Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
My wife just got the following as a company vehicle:

2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Stone exterior with the tan lower trim
V8 engine. We drove the V6 and thought it was okay. The V8 has to be that much better.
Tan Leather with bench second row seat and third row seat.
Sunroof
Towing package
4x4
Audiophile stereo
17" rims and tires---didn't like th 18" offering. They looked too much like hubcaps to us. Yuk.
Backup sensors

I think that's about it. It will be here in 8 weeks, or so they say. I drive a Ford 500 Limited which took 12 weeks to deliver, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Pics will come when we have it back at home.

Looking forward to it!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Company vehicle eh? Does she haul 7 people and tow a boat for work? Do they foot the gas bill? If so sounds like a sweet deal

JasonF said:
Company vehicle eh? Does she haul 7 people and tow a boat for work? Do they foot the gas bill? If so sounds like a sweet deal

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, or if you're being an A$$. She hauls herself around about 30,000 miles a year. A comfortable vehicle with room for co workers, kids, myself, etc. is very important to us. We may tow a trailer from time-to-time, but not that often. They do pay for her gas.

We got a screaming deal on the vehicle so I couldn't care less if she never carried more than one person, never towed a trailer; however, I might be slightly concerned if she paid the gas bill ;)

i too have a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer as my company car. Navigation and all. and yes they pay the gas. so dont feel like your all alone.

06EddieNav said:
i too have a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer as my company car. Navigation and all. and yes they pay the gas. so dont feel like your all alone.

Feel bad? Nah.

I drive a 2005 Ford 500 Limited with the AWD and it's a company car, too, that has its gas paid for. I hope the suspension on the Explorer is better. The 500 has been a great car ( a tad underpowered, but not bad), but the front suspension sounds like a can of rocks over rough roads with just 25,000 miles on it. :eek: I've had new struts, strut bearing, tie rods, etc. replaced. It's good for a week and then it comes back. Oh well. Other than that, it's a great car!

Jeez, too bad mine ain't a co. paid vehicle ;)

30,000 miles a year? and you buy a truck? sorry, but thats just plain dumb, no matter who is paying for it.

06EddieNav said:
30,000 miles a year? and you buy a truck? sorry, but thats just plain dumb, no matter who is paying for it.

Ummm, why? :rolleyes: What, should we buy a Taurus just b/c we drive 30k per year? THAT's dumb! :cool:

You sit in the vehicle a LOT if you put 30k on it. Why not be:

1.) Comfortable
2.) Have power
3.) We live in Illinois where it snows, so 4x4 is nice
4.) She carrier passengers, kids, etc.
5.) We wanted something to be able to haul "things" in.
6.) Best of all---if she gets into an accident, she likely wins. ;)

So in our mind, that isn't "dumb," it makes SENSE. :D

Fuel Savings vs Functionality - Trivial vs Significant

SHUMAX said:
Ummm, why? :rolleyes: What, should we buy a Taurus just b/c we drive 30k per year? THAT's dumb! :cool:

You sit in the vehicle a LOT if you put 30k on it. Why not be:

1.) Comfortable
2.) Have power
3.) We live in Illinois where it snows, so 4x4 is nice
4.) She carrier passengers, kids, etc.
5.) We wanted something to be able to haul "things" in.
6.) Best of all---if she gets into an accident, she likely wins. ;)

So in our mind, that isn't "dumb," it makes SENSE. :D
I drive 35,000 plus miles per year, mostly in southern California, and completely agree.

At 35,000 miles per year, 40% city and 60% highway, and regular gasoline at $2.40, the annual fuel cost for a 2006 Explorer Limited V8 rear wheel drive rated at 15 city and 21 highway is $4,516. A much smaller vehicle rated at 22 city and 30 highway would only save $1,382 per year, a very small amount. Most people drive far less, so the the fuel savings for them would be trivial. If there are any real savings to be had, they would come from a lower purchase price, not the difference in fuel usage.

FStephenMasek said:
I drive 35,000 plus miles per year, mostly in southern California, and completely agree.

At 35,000 miles per year, 40% city and 60% highway, and regular gasoline at $2.40, the annual fuel cost for a 2006 Explorer Limited V8 rear wheel drive rated at 15 city and 21 highway is $4,516. A much smaller vehicle rated at 22 city and 30 highway would only save $1,382 per year, a very small amount. Most people drive far less, so the the fuel savings for them would be trivial. If there are any real savings to be had, they would come from a lower purchase price, not the difference in fuel usage.

Disregard my post. I misread it!

Back