New Problem - Rattle From Drivetrain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Problem - Rattle From Drivetrain

d.bright

Reaction score
City, State
Lilburn, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer 2WD V8
Hey guys,

This actually isn't a new problem, but a problem that I've had since my purchase of this 06' EB V8 in December, however it's progressivley gotten worse. It's still under warranty (factory until October 09, and then CPO thereafter) however I have taken it in for this problem already and was told that it was caused by an aftermarket product and wouldn't be covered. I've since debunked this claim and now the noise is even more pronounced. Here is the situation.

When I purchased the vehicle it had 24K miles on it and after my first highway drive, I noticed a rattle that seemed to be coming from the center/lower dashboard when I was coasting, whenever I applied throttle, it seemed to go away.

I took it into the dealer less than 3 weeks after purchasing it, this visit was to fix a squeal with the drivebelt (caused by the detail shop applying "engine shine" to the engine bay and getting it on the drive belt, they replaced the belt and a pulley under warranty), a transmission TSB to fix shifting issues (I posted in another thread about this, it's still working fine), and of course this rattle.

Everything but the rattle was fixed, my service writer explained that the shop foreman had driven it all day trying to figure out where it was coming from and determined that it must be coming from the aftermarket remote start unit (which turns out was actually installed by them at the dealer when the original owner bought it, I found this out after the fact and believe me I let the service writer know about it). He said the unit needed to be tightened down under the dash, so I did that, it was easy to access and I made sure it was tight with a new tie-strap to the cross-member. After I did this, of course it didn't solve the problem, I actually started hearing the sound more and more as the weather got colder.

Tonight, I followed the sticky thread that explains how to remove the center console cover so that I could drive it in the neighborhood and try to find the noise, with my handy mechanics stethescope (I've worked on my own cars all of my life, so it's a handy tool to have when chasing a noise down) I held it directly on to the floorboard that is under the center console cover, and directly above the transmission. This is what I found.

As long as I stay under 25MPH I don't hear anything abnormal.

As soon as I get above 25 and let off of the throttle, I can hear this rotational tapping/rattling coming from the area directly under the floorboard.

The rattle is directly associated with the speed of the vehicle, and happens at any speed above 25MPH.

I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem before or if it is a common issue, if you have, please let me know what the solution was, even if it was something very simple that I can fix by tightening something I would like to do that rather than take it back in to the dealer and deal with all the crap that goes with it (rental, explaining myself 20 times, lost time, etc...).

My thanks in advance!

Edit: this is a 2WD, I read somewhere about a person who had an issue with a transfer case on a 4WD and the dealer said it was "normal", that doesn't apply to me because I don't have 4WD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm... I have never heard of this type of sound on an explorer resonating from the place where you say it is. I've researched a lot of the 3gen's short comings and this is not even remotely a common problem.

Did someone put some zip ties around your drive shaft by chance??:D

Hitchhikingmike,

Man I wish it was that simple, I crawled under there just to see if I saw anything loose but no luck. It all looks so tight and well put together down there that I can't fathom something being loose, but I guess anythings possible. Also another comment, it doesn't make the noise until the vehicle has warmed up, wonder if that gets any gearheads turning?

TIA!

too bad you do'nt have one of those new mini rear backup video cameras that you could atteach to the underside, see what's causing the problem ?

Did you check for Any play in the drive train at all?

OK, so I just got my EB back from the dealer today after dropping it off last night to have them check out the problem. I received a call in the morning telling me that the problem was found, that it was an O2 sensor wire that wasn't secured to the transmission housing (it had somehow came out of its clip). I said, OK I bite, I'm happy that it was something so simple and not mechanically related at all. So I dropped off my rental this afternoon, and climbed in my EB and drove home.

All was well, and then... rattle rattle rattle! It was back, just like before. I climbed under the vehicle when I got home just to see if maybe the O2 sensor wire had become "dislodged" again, and it had not.

I called up my SW and told him what was up, he said let me talk to the tech in the morning and we'll schedule you to come in sometime next week. Since it is under factory and certified pre owned warranty, I said that's fine, I'll be there. The interesting thing about this is when I came in yesterday, I rode with the mechanic first before dropping it off. He used a mechanics stethescope and we could duplicate the sound very well, the interesting thing about this mechanic is that he was a Ford Certified Transmission Trainer (or whatever it's called) that was layed off about 3 months ago because of Ford's downsizing. I could tell he was very knowledgeable of transmissions, drivetrain, etc.. so I'm thinking that he will get it fixed. I just want to enjoy my EB! Since I've bought it in December, I've had it in the shop 3 times already, with over $200 in rentals! I'm definatley not giving up on the vehicle tho, I really really think that the owner before me ran it off the road at some point. The reason I say that is because when I returned the vehicle to have the Certified Pre-Owned work done, the "front end" tech said he had to align the rear toe-in, which he has never had to do on this particular year/model, and also the front right was out significantly too. Also some branches were lodged under the running board on the right side. I think the person who had it before me either dogged it, or just didn't know how to drive. Anyways, I'll keep you all posted!

I really really think that the owner before me ran it off the road at some point. The reason I say that is because when I returned the vehicle to have the Certified Pre-Owned work done, the "front end" tech said he had to align the rear toe-in, which he has never had to do on this particular year/model, and also the front right was out significantly too. Also some branches were lodged under the running board on the right side. I think the person who had it before me either dogged it, or just didn't know how to drive. Anyways, I'll keep you all posted!

hahaha, if I had driven another explorer besides my own, you would know that I was the previous owner of that explorer. Man I do that kind of stuff to my explorer every day! I've even gotten under my explorer when I get home and pull out huge rocks just sitting on the frame and frame cross members. But yeah my explorer is solid and has never missed a beat before.

Hope you find your problem!

OK, I got pretty pissed at Ford for this one, before I finally got the issue resolved, now everything's cool, especially after how Ford treated me, which was actually better than I thought they would, read on.

Last month I took in my Ex for the second time to figure out where this rattle was coming from, I drove into the dealership when it was happening, and I had the auto trans tech ride with me with his mechanics stethescope to hear where it was coming from. He verified the noise and said he would fix it. 2 days later I came back, mechanic says it's fixed, he had to adjust the trans cross-member back like 4mm, supposedly to keep it from rubbing a heat-shield, dunno, didn't seem like that was the issue to me, but I said OK and drove it home. On the way home, the rattle happened again, needless to say I was a bit miffed. I had to keep driving it for about 3 weeks before I could take it back in, just no time at all due to my schedule.

Long story short, finally took it back in, mechanic rode with me again and expressed his concern that it may be driveshaft end-play related, he checked runout and end-play, and sure enough both numbers were out of range. He then ordered a new transmission output shaft housing, all new bearings and a new yoke, and whatever else that goes with it. And now, NO NOISE! finally, so it was a rotational noise, and it was trans related, guess all those years as a Ford tech paid off! :)

Hope others find this post usefull, as this is a hard to diagnose sound because you can't re-create it on a lift.

Oh yeah, and Ford did their part too, I called upset that I had taken it in earlier in the year for the same problem and was told it was my aftermarket keyless start (which was actually dealer installed I found out later), and I was upset that I had to pay for 4 days of a rental, and for all the time wasted taking it back in again and again. Ford sent me a coupon for a free oil change, rotate and balance and 50% off of my 30K service, not to mention 5 free rental days! even after warranty! pretty cool! so it's all good, if anyone has issues like this and can call up Ford and be calm, firm and polite, there is a chance they will help you out.

WOW and how many miles on your 4th gen?

I'm right at 28K, my factory warranty is up in October 09' and I have a certified pre-owned to cover me after that.

Did a search on transmission related noises and found this! I have a slight rattle/clicking/ticking noise starting around 25-30 MPH and is constant with the drive train rotation (not engine rotation). Sounds like it is from the area beneath the console. It just started at 32K miles.

I will be giving this info to the Ford service adviser when I drop it off tomorrow.

Of course mines a V6 4x4.

It turns out it was just a cable that was not secured properly. Probably from when they fixed my shifter issue.

Back