New purchase

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
I just picked up this Navajo on Saturday. It's in really good shape all in all, and just needs some cosmetic items. It has the typical rust for this area and the clearcote is completely shot. I'm pretty happy to get this truck, I've been after one for a while to add to my collection. I missed out on a very low milage one in Tennessee several years ago. It was almost exactly like this one, other than condition, and I haven't had a chance to get another until now.

Its not bad for a $1000 vehicle and it cleaned up well inside. It's currently at 228,000 miles. It's complete, less the sunroof bag and cargo cover. It even still has the owner's manual and spare tire changing gloves. It doesn't pull or shake, it's quiet and runs really well, and the steering is tight for the mileage. I suspect it has less than 80,000 actually driven miles as a majority of the time it was flat towed. I bought it from a friend of the original owner. The trans will need some attention as 1st through 3rd has a whine that will only get worse with time. Some Lucas and an oil change helped, but it will need an overhaul in the near future.

It's got the chocolate brown and tan interior, all the power stuff (that works!), a 5 speed, and my favorite paint color. It's pretty much optioned as I would have ordered it new if I could have back then. (I was only 11 years old in 1993). I'd rather have the Mazda 5 spoke wheels, but for now these are in good shape and should clean up nicely.

If anyone knows where a solid back bumper, front valance and a wheel center cap might be, please let me know. The front valance was cut to install a pull bar for towing behind a camper. The unique mazda parts are somewhat hard to find for this truck and as of yet; I haven't had much luck. I did find some spare headlights on eBay that I should be able to polish out, and one NOS corner light.

The plan is to eventually restore it, but for now I'm just happy to finally own one of these unusual versions of the first gen Explorer. It's already been a topic of conversation with several friends that were auto mechanics in the mid to late 90s.

IMG_20181110_123530810.jpg

IMG_20181111_150358392_HDR.jpg

5 speed mazda transmissions are known to have a leak from the shift lever cover. It has the 3 shift rods in it and when they machined the passages they plugged them with RUBBER plugs. these plugs shrink and let fluid leak and then the transmission starts wining and then you replace the transmission. With the front seats removed the carpet can be rolled back and the access plate removed from around the shifter. The top cover can then be removed from the transmission and the rubber plugs replaced with small freeze plugs.

Back