New rebuilt manual tranny that is noisy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New rebuilt manual tranny that is noisy

supercj

Reaction score
City, State
tornado alley, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 E x p l o r e r Sport
Hello all,

Thanks for looking at my post here. I would really appreciate some input.
I have put in a new rebuilt manual transmission. It works fine but it is noisy. Just last weekend I went on the first significant road trip with it and it now has a high pitched sound when the vehicle is driving/moving. It seems to be the loudest when starting off in the slower speeds; when cruising it is not as noticeable very likely due to the increased road noise.

Is this normal or is there something likely wrong? Any help would be great, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think it is normal or good. Did you do the rebuild or a shop? Do you hear it in each gear the same? Might be the input or output bearings. Did you double check the fluid level?

I don't think it is normal or good. Did you do the rebuild or a shop? Do you hear it in each gear the same? Might be the input or output bearings. Did you double check the fluid level?

...I bought it rebuilt. The lower gears are the noisiest, even for the higher pitched sound. I have not checked the fluid yet. I have not noticed major leakage so I'm pretty sure the fluid is fine. When I filled it a little extra come out when I met the "full level" so there was plenty/proper amount put initially. I will have to check though.

First guess would be low on fluid or incorrect fluid. Second would be inadequate/ low quality rebuild parts.

First guess would be low on fluid or incorrect fluid. Second would be inadequate/ low quality rebuild parts.

It was low on fluid so I put more in so there is enough now. It high pitched "wining" sound still seems to be noisy as before.
Is there any reason why the fluid level would drop? I just got back from driving it just now and you can get underneath and you can smell like something is burnt or hot. I understand that a transmission can get hot but is it normal to smell the "hotness" like that? Have I just not noticed that before?

Any input would help, thanks for much for those who have contributed so far!

i would take the transmission back and get another one.

It's not easy to take back. I bought it online and it was shipped. Plus it is extremely hard to pull out and put in, never want to do that again :p

I was did some more investigation today and I discovered that it is leaking fluid where the bell housing mates up with the engine. Anyone know why this would suddenly happen like this?
Thanks for any input.

is it motor oil or gear oil? if its motor oil its your rear main seal. if its gear oil its a seal on the trans.

is it motor oil or gear oil? if its motor oil its your rear main seal. if its gear oil its a seal on the trans.

I am very confident it is transmission fluid. It is red, and there were no leaks from my engine prior to this. My engine is solid so i know it isn't that.

ummmmmmmmm i thought this was a manual transmission? doesnt the manuals take gear oil not transmission oil? thats probably your problem there.

No, these M5OD-R1 5-speed manual transmissions take Mercon automatic tranny fluid.

Leaking out the front sounds like bad news to me. If the front seal is leaking this soon it is either not there or messed up bad. Sorry to say.

I'm needing to pull my tranny as well and I'm not looking forward to it. Those top two bolts in the bell housing are a pain. I had my engine tore down last time so the intake was off and out of the way.

No, these M5OD-R1 5-speed manual transmissions take Mercon automatic tranny fluid.

Leaking out the front sounds like bad news to me. If the front seal is leaking this soon it is either not there or messed up bad. Sorry to say.

I'm needing to pull my tranny as well and I'm not looking forward to it. Those top two bolts in the bell housing are a pain. I had my engine tore down last time so the intake was off and out of the way.

I put this one in myself and it is extremely difficult to get out and put back in. The bolts are not the issue. The issue is trying to shoehorn it out of the small space. Good luck to ya!

well i know now :) i know saturns use atf in there standard trans. wow i learn something everyday on here.

Does anyone think it would be worth trying Lucas tranmission fluid? Or is there something else to try to see if they leaking will decrease?

well man if the transmission makeing noise i would take it back. that lucas stuff only a temp fix. sucks takeing it out but i rather just do it right and put another rebuilt one in there. up to you get your moneys worth.

well man if the transmission makeing noise i would take it back. that lucas stuff only a temp fix. sucks takeing it out but i rather just do it right and put another rebuilt one in there. up to you get your moneys worth.

...I can't take it back. It is out of warranty. I still need to call the place I got it from though and see what my options are.
I don't think it is worth putting more money into my explorer. I need something that gets better gas mileage.

I've seen this said before and people get real insistent about on it.

However, I have a Mazda Navajo with a 5speed. Door code says it should be the M5OD. The owners manual and Chiltons both call for 80 90w.

Mine was also noisy in the lower gears and with the tranny in neutral- clutch out. Push the clutch in (still in neutral) the noise would stop. That tells me the noise is connected to the input shaft.

When i checked the tranny fluid it was plain the lub wasn't 80-90w, was much thinner and didn't have that gear oil smell.

So I changed it out. It's quieter now. Falls into 3rd effortlessly but it's a bit stiffer going into second.

*shrugs* Just saying.

The R1 Part? When did that designation start? Wonder what the diff is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi ,you didnt say anything about the pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft behind the clutch as to whether you checked or replaced it. If the bearing was bad it could cause the input shaft bearing in your new trans to fail and cause your problems. Elbow

Back