• Register Today It's free!

New set up questions

Lastweek

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone! I haven't posted much here but I look around a ton. I need some help on a design I want to do with my 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer. Heres the set up:

Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD Din2

Jensen Power 5500 5 Ch 60 watts rms x4 at 4ohms 250 watts x1 at 2 ohms
(Im not sure about this. Any suggestions would be nice. I like the 6x9s I have so I was thinking of powering them through the amp. maybe?)

Rockford Fosgate P210 x2

So my idea is this. I want to build a box sunk into the floor or something but have it protected somehow without loosing sound quality. The reason for this is because I snowboard 100 days a year or more and need to keep gear in my trunk. The boards sit on top on a rack but still. I have boots, bindings and tools sitting in the back. I don't want to ruin the subs or get anything wet. Any ideas on a covering or something? Something that won't trap to much heat? I was thinking a high sitting acrylic with holes in it but I also know acrylic will mess with the sound a bit. Maybe putting them under the back seats but then there is the chance of them having holes kicked in them. Or not.

Lets hear it guys what do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and love it. The only real difference between ours are the screen size, and yours has the USB, AUX, and SD input on the front while mine has it on the back and the SD input behind the moving screen.Try to pick yours up in a combo that has the navigation with it (I don't have navigation yet)

I was looking at amps at around 75W-100W x4 RMS last night, the Power Acoustic STAX and BAMF 4 channel amps might be a good choice for you, they push 100 RMS x4 and up and start at around 120 bucks, but then you would have to pick up a mono amp too.

If you wanted to use that 5 channel amp you wont be able to power 2 subs unless you bridge your rear channels for a sub and run the second sub from the 5th channel. My friend just bought a Rockford Fosgate Sub and it sounds great. I can't find any RF 12 in subs that you could run at 2Ohm-250W on that amp, so I recommend my friend's sub to you, and its only 60 bucks.

If you did a 4 channel amp and got a mono amp separate, I would do this for the subwoofer setup:
Two Rockford Fosgate 12" 250W RMS subs wired in parallel to an Alpine MRP-M500 500W RMS amp (I have it, I LOVE it) or an MRX-M50 amp (a little more expensive for a lot more features and better quality [no remote wire needed either]).

They do make subwoofer grills that you could put on your sub, but you could make an extra MDF shelf that goes across your subs that leaves about 10" or a foot of space between the sub and the shelf above. That way you can set/lean stuff on the shelf but it wont touch the subs and wont drip onto them either, but the sound will still disperse into the car without objects sitting directly on top of them.

I hope this helps!

Well I already have the two p210s. I currently have the Eddie Bauer MACH sound system in mine and I like a lot. Should I worry about putting those speakers through an amp or just get a mono for the two subs? Here is what I'm working with, and what I mean by sinking in the subs.

I was thinking of some kind of homemade bandpass that sits low in the trunk.

Are you planning on taking out the MACH system for this new one or integrating parts of it?

You need an amp for your subs. You probably wont be able to power both subs on a single channel with the amp you were looking at, unless you sacrifice your rear channel to power the second sub. If you really want to use both of your subs and also have front and rear speakers you will need to get a bigger 5 channel amp that can handle the combined RMS watts of your 2 subs on the 5th channel, or get a 4 channel amp for the doors and a mono amp for the 2 subs (probably your best bet but more work to wire up)

You seriously gonna cut away the body to put a box? Idk about doing that...
I thought there might have already been cargo space where you drew the circles.

If you wanted to use that 5 channel amp you wont be able to power 2 subs unless you bridge your rear channels for a sub and run the second sub from the 5th channel. My friend just bought a Rockford Fosgate Sub and it sounds great. I can't find any RF 12 in subs that you could run at 2Ohm-250W on that amp...

What?!? if you use a 5ch amp you will have no problem running 2 subs from the 5th ch. you need not worry about what the subs will do other than what load they will put on the amp and that they can handle the wattage output of the amp. most amps are stable down to 2 ohms. make sure you check the specs on the amp you are looking at.

if you want 2 subs on only one ch, if the amp is stable to 2 ohms all you do is hook BOTH pos wires to the pos sub out and BOTH neg wires to the neg sub out.

i am running a 5 ch amp in my 95xlt, i run 4 5x8's on ch's 1-4 at 4ohms and 2 12's on the sub ch at 2 ohms. the difference between my amp and most you might get is my amp is stable down to 1/8th of an ohm, and no im not making that up.

Are you planning on taking out the MACH system for this new one or integrating parts of it?

You seriously gonna cut away the body to put a box? Idk about doing that...
I thought there might have already been cargo space where you drew the circles.

Yes I was going to integrate the MACH system for the time being. I just took the door panels off and they still look great, no cracks and look brand new.

Well like I said this is just a shoot out for ideas. I wanted something that sank almost all the way into the floor or even replace the metal flooring with wood. I looked underneath and saw where I could potentially drop a box (not all the way) but maybe a couple of inches. Here is what it looks like under where I was going to cut. and drop a box in about 3-4 inches to give a cleaner look. But like I said I am open to all suggestions this is just a project that has been going on in my head and I think it would look great.

What?!? if you use a 5ch amp you will have no problem running 2 subs from the 5th ch. you need not worry about what the subs will do other than what load they will put on the amp and that they can handle the wattage output of the amp. most amps are stable down to 2 ohms. make sure you check the specs on the amp you are looking at.

if you want 2 subs on only one ch, if the amp is stable to 2 ohms all you do is hook BOTH pos wires to the pos sub out and BOTH neg wires to the neg sub out.

i am running a 5 ch amp in my 95xlt, i run 4 5x8's on ch's 1-4 at 4ohms and 2 12's on the sub ch at 2 ohms. the difference between my amp and most you might get is my amp is stable down to 1/8th of an ohm, and no im not making that up.

No no, I meant using that particular amp he was looking at, the 5th channel looked way too underpowered for using both subs.

Lastweek: if you did something like that the wood box would be exposed to all of the dirt and water and other junk from the road. You would either want to put a metal bucket below the box to keep it inside the cabin, or you would need to seal it around the edges and put a coating on the wood so it wont absorb water and road grime. Maybe a wood sealer and then coat it with truck bed liner on the exposed part.

Lastweek: if you did something like that the wood box would be exposed to all of the dirt and water and other junk from the road. You would either want to put a metal bucket below the box to keep it inside the cabin, or you would need to seal it around the edges and put a coating on the wood so it wont absorb water and road grime. Maybe a wood sealer and then coat it with truck bed liner on the exposed part.

Great idea. I think i'll build that metal box to fit a wood into. Cover it with bed liner then drop the wood box into it. Thanks for idea.

As for the audio set up how does it look? Should I run the speakers in the car through the amp or just keep them on the stereo and run the subs through a mono or dual channel?

Great idea. I think i'll build that metal box to fit a wood into. Cover it with bed liner then drop the wood box into it. Thanks for idea.

As for the audio set up how does it look? Should I run the speakers in the car through the amp or just keep them on the stereo and run the subs through a mono or dual channel?

I don't know if you can run the stock speakers through an amp, I think it might blow them. I'm assuming the MACH system didn't come with an amp for those speakers. If you want to just add the subs then just go with a mono or 2 channel amp. If you do a 2 channel then you can have the subs in stereo. That part is up to you, but if you want a nice small D-class mono amp, I recommend the MRP-M500, and wire the subs up in parallel.

Back