1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New Terrorist attacks ?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by TSTONE, December 31, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. TSTONE

TSTONE Giddy up! Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland County, MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 Mountaineer
      Anyone else hear about the possibilty of terrorist attacks being planned?

I was watching the national news last night and they said that 6 different domestic commercial flights in the last 4 days have reported being painted (tagged) with laser beams while on approach.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rocco123

rocco123 Active Member

City, State:
      Endicott, NY
      1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
      I work for an aircraft operator and receive the pilot reports directly from the crew. We have received a report at the begining of December where one of our A/C was hit by a laser in Utah (Utah Valley). In the report, they state that earlier a different plane (another operator) was hit and had to declare an emergency.
      Yes this is happening. I have never heard of it before, but it certainly is true that high power lasers are being pointed at aircraft. Why? Who knows.

4. jgilbs

jgilbs Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
      92 Eddie Bauer
      the FBI issued a bulletin in early december about this. Apparently in Septmeber, a Delta co-pilot suffered retina burns when he was exposed to green laser light, forcing an emergency landing. weird.

5. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
      San Jose, Calif
      2003 sport trac
      I dougbt that you could bring down an aircraft with a laser.Even if you could blind both pilots of a large airliner the plane could still land itself.
      Somebody could be testing a laser guided missle system though

6. LOGJOCKY

LOGJOCKY Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Leduc, Alberta
      1994 EXPLORER XLT
      laser usually mean some form of tagreting system, so mabye somone is making sure they got their aim on before they fire

7. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

no offense to your intelligence spindlecone cause i thought the same thing at first.. but... i believe there was a report that said that plane's cant actually LAND themselves... autopilot can point them in the right direction but they can't actually land without the pilot..

8. odxtoxic

odxtoxic Active Member

City, State:
      Windom, MN
      '00 Merc. Mounty
      the auto pilot could....but would have to have to have a very experienced pilot guiding it...with vision of course....

i did hear of this lazer reports while i was sitting in the miami airport thursday waiting for my flight to start boarding, it really didn't bother me at the time because i didnt know the reports were of high powered lazers, i figured it was some kid playing around....im not flying till spring break now so hopefully the FFA , FSA, and FBI will figure something out

9. Nate1

Nate1 All 4 wheels locked

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      I have a green laser pointer, they are completely legal and extraordinarily intense. The beam is still below the 5mw when you purchase it, but it is not hard to modify the laser into a much more intense and powerful device. With the 5mw ones you can see the green beam at night. I modified mine and used it in a field at night in the mountains of NC and you could stand in the middle of the field and I could shoot it across the field and you would easily EASILY see the beam the whole way. Hitting trees mountains up two miles away was hard, but the beam definitely reached.

I have a feeling these people are just some village idiots abusing a Class IIIa green laser. Are they hanging out around airports or what?

This guy is where I got mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...80&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores

He is very nice and checks out each customer to make sure they are buying it for scientific experimenting and not just playing "starwars"

10. jgilbs

jgilbs Elite Explorer

City, State:
      92 Eddie Bauer
      i was reading about that guys auction, seems like a good guy. but isnt it illegal to point lasers in the sky for astronomy spotting as he suggests you use these lasers for? maybe these "terrorist attacks" are just astronomy buffs using their lasers to point at stars, who knows. it seems to me that blinding pilots wouldnt be a very effective terror weapon, since you need to blind TWO of them, and i imagine it would be difficult to hit a target like an airplane cockpit 2 miles away from you, and even IF you manage to succeed, chances are decent that SOMEONE can land the plane (with help from traffic control) why dont the airlines invest in some laser-proof glasses for their pilots? they cant be that expensive, and it completley defeats a "laser attack"

11. Nate1

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      Technically speaking, no, these 4.99mw lasers are legal to point in the sky because they are class IIIa.

12. jgilbs

jgilbs Elite Explorer

City, State:
      92 Eddie Bauer
      quote from auction: "I guarantee that this pointer will measure at least 5mW or your money back." and i thought 5mw was the cutoff for class iiia

13. svande8952

svande8952 Active Member

City, State:
      Prescott, AZ
      '94 Sport
      Larger planes do have "Auto Land" so if the aircraft was on final approach, then the pilots were blinded, it would still land. But then there would have to be someone to stop the plane so it would not go off the end of the runway.

14. LOGJOCKY

LOGJOCKY Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Leduc, Alberta
      1994 EXPLORER XLT
      regardless there will always be more terrorist attack weather in the US or other parts of the world, they will always be there.

15. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
      There is a federal law against intentionally aiming any type or class of laser at an airplane. It was on cnn so i don't know if i believe it.

16. Nate1

City, State:
      Gainesville/Tampa, FL
      '96 FZJ-80
      I mean you are an idiot if you aim anything at an airplane in the first place.

Stupid morons! It will be no time till laser pointers are outlawed.