• Register Today It's free!

New things on the 2018 Explorer

rok8man

Reaction score
City, State
Frisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer LTD
So far I see they added the chrome strips around the back cladding and they finally added the bumper protector and its has a chrome border. I like it. Now I want it on my Explorer. Anyone else notice anything new on them. Oh also the new rims as well.

upload_2017-12-6_12-3-10.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can check the 2018 Order Guide posted on the Forum for the major changes to the Explorer.

Peter

So far I see they added the chrome strips around the back cladding and they finally added the bumper protector and its has a chrome border. I like it. Now I want it on my Explorer. Anyone else notice anything new on them. Oh also the new rims as well.

View attachment 152560
If that's a 2018 then they went back from the shark fin antenna back to the previous style antenna.

Whimsey

Here is a picture I found on the Internet of a 2018 Sport. I don't know if all 2018 trims have the dual exhausts or just the ones with the 3.5L Ecoboost. You will also notice that the area where the license plate is seems to be recessed as opposed to the picture above where it looks to be raised. It also has the 'shark fin' antenna.

Peter

2018_2.jpg

If that's a 2018 then they went back from the shark fin antenna back to the previous style antenna.

Whimsey
It does have the 2018 accents on the rear bumper cladding and it does have the 2018 20” Premium Luster Nickel Painted Aluminum wheels that are standard on the Limited.

Peter

The Sport has the back bumper protector in all black. The Limited has the chrome lined one. I need to find out how much they are so I can put it on my Limited. Its about time Ford started putting those in as all the other SUV's I have seen have them as standard option like the Highlander, Pilot, QX60 and so on.

The Sport has the back bumper protector in all black. The Limited has the chrome lined one. I need to find out how much they are so I can put it on my Limited. Its about time Ford started putting those in as all the other SUV's I have seen have them as standard option like the Highlander, Pilot, QX60 and so on.
Have you checked out the thread on Rear Bumper Protectors? Here is post in that thread; Rear Bumper Protectors

Peter

I'm guessing you can't just add the 2018 bumper protector to earlier Explorers because it is recessed - in other words they changed the bumper cover to add a recess that the protector fits in. If you try to put it on top of a 2017 or earlier bumper cover it'll be higher and might touch the tailgate or otherwise might not fit right.

View attachment 152560

They changed the front lower facia to add a chrome strip. And they changed the rear lower facia to extend the black plastic down to where the brushed aluminum look plastic used to be in the center.

I saw new 20" polished aluminum rims on a Limited at the dealer on Monday. They're slightly different than the current polished aluminum rims and I liked them better. Also like the rims in your picture better than the current standard Limited rims.

I'm guessing you can't just add the 2018 bumper protector to earlier Explorers because it is recessed - in other words they changed the bumper cover to add a recess that the protector fits in. If you try to put it on top of a 2017 or earlier bumper cover it'll be higher and might touch the tailgate or otherwise might not fit right.
I don't think the liftgate clearance would likely be a problem since the covers in the link I posted all sit on top of the bumper.

Peter

Have you checked out the thread on Rear Bumper Protectors? Here is post in that thread; Rear Bumper Protectors

Peter

I have seen those before and I was thinking about them but the one on the 18' LTD looks lot better. Here is the description of it I found on the 2018 Order Guide: Rear BumperStep Pad Molded In Color Black with Bright Chrome Surround.

Back