Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

New Tire Opinions Needed...

Discussion in 'Tires & Wheels' started by snoborder42, November 19, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Redtrac01

Redtrac01 Member

City, State:
    Sammamish,WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    01 Sport Trac
    The Revos aren't anything like the Wild Countrys, which are more like the Toyos. I had the Revos and they are excellent AT tires, if not the best in my opinion. Even with 60K miles on them, the traction was excellent (here in the NW). The best thing I liked about them was that they didn't get rocks stuck in the tread. The only drawback was noise as they got worn. But that's a problem with any AT tire.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    86-98 Ranger STX

Mine are not the Revos. I clearly identified them as plain old Ats above.

IMO, they suck... Never again. In a vehicle with only a 30% throttle under 3000 RPM (computer controlled drive-by-wire system) they break loose on wet roads all the time. I've had much better tires in the past and will again. I can't imagine how bad they would be if I had full throttle available on take off...

FYI, I didn't purchase these tires myself. They were part of a package deal when I bought the Trailblazer. I'm running the 265 70 R 16 size.

I'll go Coopers or Pro Comps next time. Kuhmos are also on my short list. I had a set of their MTs on my Ranger and they stuck like glue on the same streets that these Michelins get sideways, even though the TB is almost half again as much weight.

The Revos have a lot more sipes, and ought to be a better tire. I can't say, as I've never personally run them.

FYI, I have run multiple varieties of: Goodyear, Firestone, BFGoodrich (used to be my favorite until they went downhill), General, Dayton, Michelin, Pirelli (like the Scorpions!), Pro Comp, Farm and Fleet, Co-Op, Mickey Thompson, Gumbo Monster Mudders, Ground Hawgs, Dick Cepeks, Parnelli Jones, Desert Dogs, Super Swampers, and a few other nameless tires in my life. I am somewhat opinionated and have a lot of experience driving (over 1.5 million miles so far) and select tires with care and with a purpose. I'm also now the manager in charge of a fleet that runs 38 vehicles on a torturous campus that eats a set of tires every 5k miles (yup -- not a typo) so I get to see a LOT of different tires in action, for tread wear, performance, longivety, and cost.

4. snoborder42

snoborder42 Active Member

City, State:
    Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
    92 XLT 4x4
    Well I've decided to go with the Dueler AT Revos... I hope they turn out to be what everybody says. Now I just need some snow to go play in... :D

5. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    outside shovelling snow
    ................ 96 XLT ™
    I think you'll be happy with the Revos.

I have yet to hear anyone who disliked them.

6. JamesVW73

JamesVW73 Member

City, State:
    Greensboro, NC
    two 92 XLT 4x4s :D
    if youre doing tons of on road driving, i wouldnt go with the revos, had em, hated em. the traction was nice, they wear out wayyyyyyyyy too fast. go with something like a BFG A/T KO, nice tire, quiet, good treadwear. Of something more like a Goodyear Fortera SilentArmor. Even better tire.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    86-98 Ranger STX
    It comes to mind that there is snow and then there is snow... Lots of different types, depths, tempratures, etc. What might be perfect for one area will suck in another.

I see tread designs like the Revo working in city-type traffic with semi-slushy/icy conditions, not deeper snow. Also, there is going to be a trade-off. Any tire that really grabs on ice will probably not last very long on warm or dry roads. Such is life -- the soft rubber compounds don't bring the long-lasting mileage numbers.

When I still lived in Wisconsin, I preferred the old Goodyear snow tread design, which is now featured on the Dick Cepek Fun Country tires.
    http://www.dickcepek.com/FC_Radial.html

The cross bars gave plenty of bite and they did a good job until the snow got to be over a foot deep -- then a pure mud tire worked better. On the other hand, the pure mud tires (swampers, boggers, BGF MTs, etc.) sucked on light pack or ice compared to a tire with tons of little sipes and edges.

I still don't like the Michelin tires at all, but some guys seem to like them -- perhaps in their area they are ok. I've never had much luck with them.

Like I said above, I'm switching to the Cooper ATRs this time around...
    http://www.coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx

Tirerack.com has a lot of user comparison charts... Here is one for street all-season tires that is informative...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

An interesting article about the Coopers in worldwide competition:

http://www.tyrespec.co.uk/cooper-tyres.php

Last edited: November 26, 2007
  8. coombs

coombs Member

City, State:
    cape breton nova scotia
    97 xl
    tires

hey iam back from my ban lol anyway down this way we get nasty winters and most ppl here sell the rethread winters with studs nice soft rubber i ran then fer about 8 yrs. better then anything i ever bought and i had many types of tires from bfg's to canadiean tire studded winters on both cars and trucks just saying if there is someone around where your from that sells them i would try them they wont let you down i promice and way have a good day

9. BogFather

BogFather Active Member

City, State:
    Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
    97 Sport, 91 Samurai
    Old post i know but came across it in a google search. I've been running my 32/11.50/15 Wild Country XTX A/T's for about 3yrs now and they still have about half if not better tread on them, Thats Winter Driving, Summer Driving, Mudd Driving, Rock Driving, & Ocasionally Street Driving. So that is my Revue of the wild country's :D :D :D

10. ChuckP

ChuckP New Member

City, State:
    Flint, MI
    '99 XLT
  11. BrightExplorer

BrightExplorer New Member

City, State:
    Chucktown, South Carolina
    2003 XLS
    Bringing posts back from the dead are we?

BFG All-Terrain T/A KOs...