New to a forum of any kind, have a door issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to a forum of any kind, have a door issue

Oregonslim

Reaction score
City, State
Weston Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Isuzu Rodeo Ls 4x2
I own an 86 F-250 but ive had enough of working on that disappointment for the time being. I am however working on my wife's grandmother's 1999 ford explorer xlt 4 door. Her driver side exterior handle broke. Now I can fix it fairly easily but I can't do anything unless I get the child lock to disengage so I can actually open the door. Any tips would help. So far youtube videos have shown me everything except how to disengage the dang thing while it's closed. I'm aware I won't get an answer right away but I'm hoping for the best.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome slim. The broken handle is it on the rear door?.

Slim Jim?

Can you get in the truck from the other side and open the door from the interior handle?

try the power locks a few times see if the drivers door will release, sometimes the lock gets stuck half way and holding the button down or trying several times maybe get it to unlock
Also you can try to unlock it with the key since it is the drivers door

Are you sure the child lock is on? My rear doors at one point were so hard to open from the inside that it felt like I was going to break the interior handle off before it unlatched.

Have you tried first removing the interior handle and pulling on the door latch rod?
Can be done from inside. I've had to do it a couple of times.

Back