new to forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to forum

macboney

Padre Mac
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4.0L
speedometer quit, OD light blinks, cruise control doesn't work and shifts erratically. Transmission was rebuilt 6 months ago. Everything good until several days ago. All above quit at same time. I have replaced the vehicle speed sensor and the one on the differential. Still doesn't work. Have unhooked the battery and retried. Still doesn't work. Any ideas?>

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

transmission/speed sensor problem

I don't know the numbers. Lube shop checked it and told me it was the vehicle speed sensor. I have replace the vss on transmission and the one on the differential as well. Thanks for any suggestions.

Check the fuses?

you are on the right track I bet. I think the non working speedometer is the issue here.

Maybe the speedometer sensor gear in the transfer case is slipping or broken?

Check fuses?

I checked the 7.5 amp fuse in position 25, are there any others that could be involved? I think I will check all of them. Is there anything in the fuse mbox in the motor compartment that might be in play?

Thanks for input. I finally went to Ford Dealership to try and find the problem. They say that the transfer case gear that drives the speed sensor is bad and recommended rebuilding. They gave me an estimate of $800 to $1300 depending on the parts needed. Sounds like a rebuild isn't a rebuild after all. I have to think it through whether repair or replace the vehicle.

Back