1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New to Forum

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by planejames, July 9, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. planejames

planejames New Member

City, State:
    La Center, WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    05 Explorer XLT 4x4
    Hi,
    I just joined the forum and really like reading the posts and the tips for maintenance on the Explorer. I have owned Ford 4x4 vehicles for about 10 years and have enjoyed them all. All cars have quirks and Ford is no different.

I have meticulously maintained my 05 Exlorer since I purchased it with 8k miles in 06. Now it is approaching 90k and has been a great vehicle. I am starting to notice a few issues.

The brakes are pulsating in the pedal especially during hard stops (I suspect air in the ABS or Brake System) and over the past few 1000 miles, I noticed the front end squeaking even while going over the smallest bumps. The squeaking is a bit anoying now so I need to address it. The Ford manual says nothing of life limits for the shocks or struts. Just to "inspect for leakage and damage".

Any input is appreciated.
    James

Last edited: July 9, 2011
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
    connellsville pa
    1997 sport SOHC 4.0
    That pulsing is most likely warped rotors. And the squeaking could be bad shocks/struts, but it could also be worn or ungreased ball joints, or control arm bushings. If your ball joints are still original that is my bet, mine went around 85k.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

4. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Gillette, Wyoming
    04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
    The squeaking could be from the sway bar bushings. Mine squeaked all the time and I have replaced mine. I did a write-up on replacing em. Its a very simple thing to do.
    How to: Replace Sway Bar bushings (frame only)
    This is inexpensive and I would recommend doing this anyway as they do dry out.

As for the brakes, I would suspect rotors are warped.

Last edited: July 9, 2011
  5. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Worcester, MA
    2002 XLT V6 4x4
    Welcome aboard! :salute:

I concur. Most likely warped rotors. Check the struts, coil springs, ball joints, sway bar bushings. :D:thumbsup: