• Register Today It's free!

New to forum

Alan Disbrow

Reaction score
City, State
Palo Cedro
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer
Hello name is alan hoping to find some advice on my 98 ranger that i just got done swapping a 02 explorer sohc 4.0 engine, harness & computer into but now ive got a p0791 code & im pretty sure its because the trans in my 98 ranger doesnt have the iss sensor & the 02 explorer computer is looking for it any ideas on what i can do besides getting a 4wd trans that has one if thats even possible? Thank you in advance for any help.i very much appreciate it!

Alan, welcome from another Ranger owner.

TSB 97-15-28:

Article No.
97-15-28
07/21/97
TRANSMISSION - 5R55E - OVERDRIVE DRUM SPEED
SENSOR DELETED - SERVICE TIP
LIGHT TRUCK:
1997 AEROSTAR, EXPLORER, RANGER

ISSUE:
The Overdrive Drum Speed (ODS) sensor has been deleted as a running change. This may cause the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to receive stray signals from the non functional ODS sensor that may affect the operation of the transmission.

ACTION:
Disconnect the ODS sensor connector, cut off the connector end, and splice the wires together. This should reduce the possibility of stray signals affecting the operation of the transmission. Refer to the following service procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Disconnect the ODS sensor connector from the sensor.
2. Cut off the connector end.
3. Splice and solder the two (2) wires together.
4. Shrink wrap the wires, and secure the wires to the harness. For proper wire splicing techniques, refer to the Augat Connector Repair Kit Manual.
5. Leave the sensor installed if using the original case. New service cases will not have an ODS sensor hole in the case.

PART NUMBER & PART NAME
F77Z-7005-DD Transmission case
OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
971528A Eliminate Overdrive Drum 0.3 Hr.
Speed (ODS) Sensor
Connector As Outlined
DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
7005 12
OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 504000

0024msp[1].jpg

Back