1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

new (to me) '97

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by mcompton1973, December 29, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. mcompton1973

mcompton1973 New Member

City, State:
      Walnut, IA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      dunno yet
      I had a 96 explorer a few years ago....The tranny took a dump, and I ditched it...been wishing that I had fixed the tranny, and kept the truck every since.

Anyways, I am now trying to purchase a '97 with the OHC engine. I am guessing that it is the same tranny. With 128k already on the clock, adn no way to know what work has previously been done to tranny or engine, what can i do to help tranny life? synthetic fluid? more frequent changes? tranny fluid cooler?

Are there any threads or sites that can give me good help on what to look for on this thing? Anything else I need to look for?

I drive 130 miles a day on average, adn will be making some long trips, so I need to make this thing as reliable as possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      You have the 5R55E transmission. Somewhat upgraded version from your '96. Search for 5R55E for tranny issues, 00M12 and 01M01 for major issues with the SOHC engine to be aware of.

I alternately flush and change filter on my 5R55e every 30K. Have 134K+ on it and no problems (knock on wood) so far.

4. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

City, State:
      Itasca IL
      '96 XLT 4.0L OHV
      A tranny cooler (and remote filter kit) would certainly help longevity. Frequent maintenance helps, too.