• Register Today It's free!

new to me - few issues

jrobie79

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4.6 VIN "W"
new to me - few issues (new questions 5/21)

Just picked up a 2002 XLT with the 4.0 and noticed a weird almost metal on metal sound when I'm on the gas, any speed goes away when i lift off the gas and just roll.

It sounds like its coming from the rear and doesnt sound like typical wheel bearing noise, howver i csnt definitively rule that out, any ideas?

Also my battery gauge is zeroed out, yet t he car still runs....I have a door ajar light stuck on isue so i will be looking st the door harness for cut wires, would the resolve my zeroed out battery gauge?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear end noises are common. Search around the sticky posts and you will see.

Battery gauge I don't know but there is a common issue with the wires going through the door rubber boot where it cracks.

So that wire was cut, fixed it, and the door ajar light went out.

Still have that rear end noise and my brake pedal pulsates when I step on it, thinking it's just old and worn rotors and pads, will be tackling that next weekend

figured instead of starting a new thread I'll just add to this one as I figure out more issues.

I checked the rear brakes, they are toast, thinking there might be some rear wheel bearing noise too, so I'm going to replace the brakes, e-brake, and rear bearings.

In terms of cosmetics I am looking for a replacement of this piece - is this part of the whole rear bumper cover?

bumper_zpsixt1t5cg.jpg

That's part of the whole rear bumper assembly.
You can either plastic weld it, or get a replacement bumper from a wrecking yard.

new question - figured I'd just bump this instead of creating new threads:

when I open my doors the rear interior lights do not go on, they go on when I manually flip the switch, however not when the doors open (any door). The fronts do go on.

When you go to do your rear brakes, the rotors will be more expensive that you are used to. If I'm not mistaken, the parking brakes are brake shoes that run on the inside of the rear disk brake rotors. You'll want to replace the parking brake shoes while you are doing a rear brake job. I personally hate doing drum brakes relative to how easy disk brake jobs are. I'm also willing to bet that the ceramics on the parking brake shoes (if there is any left) will have separated from the shoe. They are known to separate and you will get a clicking noise (from the ceramics "moving around" behind the rear disk brake rotors.
Save yourself some time and use the rental tools from the local auto parts store. I'm pretty sure you'll also find some YouTube vids on rear brakes and dealing with the parking brakes on Explorers of this generation.

Just picked up a 2002 XLT with the 4.0 and noticed a weird almost metal on metal sound when I'm on the gas, any speed goes away when i lift off the gas and just roll.

It sounds like its coming from the rear and doesnt sound like typical wheel bearing noise, howver i csnt definitively rule that out, any ideas?

Also my battery gauge is zeroed out, yet t he car still runs....I have a door ajar light stuck on isue so i will be looking st the door harness for cut wires, would the resolve my zeroed out battery gauge?

I am guessing your noise would be a pinion bearing in the rear end which isn't the easiest of tasks for a weekend warrior. Your are basically tearing the entire rear end apart for it. While you are there you can replace the brakes and the e brake I would honestly just pull of what is left of the shoes if you do not regularly use your parking brake. And that is even if the e brake is giving you any issues at all. Also your pulsating brake pedal is most likely in the front brakes as well.

I think I'm just gonna find a used rear end with less miles and swap it in... Fixed the brake pedal pulsing by changing front and rears... Wish my door chime and rear interior lights would work correctly though

Just a thought on your rear doors and chimes not working correctly. Since it is new to you and you don't have prior history on the vehicle. You might try the ignition lock cylinder. I don't know if others on the post can comment. But there are a bunch of different contact points on an ignition lock cylinder. Maybe the chimes and the rear doors are on a different contact point than your front doors.
I have an F150 that has some "electrical demons" that were related to the ignition lock cylinder of which one was the door chimes.

Don't know if I'm heading you in the wrong direction, but others on the forum might be able to help, or immediately shoot it down.

Back