New to the forum with a few questions.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the forum with a few questions....

AkiliShujaa

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Xlt
Hey all, so lets get straight to it, shall we?? I was gifted a 1996 Explorer XLT equipped with a 5.0. We an oil change and slapped some used tires on it after she had been sitting up for a few years in my parents driveway. Needless to say, she cranked on the first try after charging the battery an hour or so (from sitting up so long dad wanted to be sure) and drove like a champ the whole trip back to Pensacola. About a week or so after we got back in town I noticed and screeching noise that may be a belt possibly as soon as you crank it up. It normally last for a few seconds and then stops, however it has lasted about three minutes on day and didnt quit until I gave it some gas. Also every so often it seems the wheels would mimic as if I were driving over the reflectors in the road or a small series of speed bumps in rapid succession. that too lasts maybe a second or two but, it's noticeable especially from the front passenger side. Finally my poor a/c was working just fine, or so pops said, last time the vehicle was cranked to drive around the block. Now it blows but it isnt cold, and when I purchased some Arctic Freeze it read the levels were actually in the red. Dad said that could be the issue. My Problem with that is, a mechanic I took it to ran a basic hands on diagnostics and told me the compressor is bad because it wasn't turning over period. My issue with that is, The same shop told me the same exact thing a few years back for a completely different vehicle so I am alittle skeptic as to the accuracy of his analysis. Any helpful pointers into pointing me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I must inform you all that I am in no way shape form or fashion a automotive mechanic myself however, I am a fast learn, I catch on quick, I follow instructions to the T, and I am easy to work with (at times lol) so again any helpful tips would be great and Thanks guys in advance!!

Back