New trans but one symptom still there | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New trans but one symptom still there

googleman

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Did I get taken? My '95 2wd with 160,000 miles backed out of the driveway but wouldn't go forward. Fluid OK. Had AAMCO tow it in and they told me that it needed rebuilding. I balked at the quote and shopped around. They dropped their price competitively. Now, I don't doubt with the milage that it might need rebuilding but... when I get it back, a symptom that I had not mentioned to them is still there. It is an engagement delay when first going into gear, either reverse or forward, of about a second or so. Exactly the same before and after the rebuild. Took it back, they drove it, put it up and "listened", checked my idle (?), and said they would have to call their tech support and would get back to me. Thoughts? Ideas? -- Thanks

I dont know this to be true, but have been told by others that when it comes to rebuilds, buyer beware, as it is not uncommon to replace only the failed parts and gaskets with a rebuild, unlike actually rebuilding the trans the way it should be. Cant confirm or prove this practice, but was advised it is possible.

Back