New transfer case blowing #23 fuse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

covert4545

Reaction score
City, State
Western New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys, New to the forum but have been getting great info off of here for the last years.
The issue I am having is with the 4wd, and the #23 brake light fuse blowing. The problem started when my 4wd stopped working and was only using 2wd for awhile. I read that a common issue is the Transfer case control module, so I bought a used one off Ebay for $60, I removed the old one and put in the new one, and the 4x4 low light came on but it also blew the #23 fuse and wouldnt let me get the vehicle out of park until I had working tail lights. (unless i used the override) I proceeded to hook up the old Transfer case put a new fuse in and everthing worked fine, except i could only use 2wd. So my question is did i just get a bad transfer case off of ebay? or does this have some completely separate issue with electrical shortages? or is there another diagnosis i should be looking at?

As I understand it, there are multiple units out there but they aren't compatible. Sounds crazy. Perhaps you didn't get an exact match.

Fuses usually pop when there is a short in the system. Busted or grounded wire.

In 2005 Borg Warner eliminated the speed sensors on the T-case. If you got a later T-case without speed sensors, it won't work.

Back