New (used) 2004 4.6 Limited question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New (used) 2004 4.6 Limited question

schach23

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to the Ex, just purchased a 2004 Limited with the 4.6, with only 50K miles on it. I was wondering since it's basically 6 years old, even though it has low miles, should I perform a tune up (plugs, etc.) or is it ok to follow the service manual? If I did anything, what all would you recommend?

I have already installed a K&N filter, plan on drilling out the air box as described around. I have the rear diff whine, gonna try some Lucas Full synthetic oil I picked up to see if that helps. Fixed a crappy rear window hinge as well. Otherwise love the truck. It's plush. Still has the window sticker, can't believe in 2004 this thing was $40,000 New!!

Thanks for the help.

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just recently did my plugs and boots which took care of an intermittent miss I had. It doesn't hurt to do a tune up at that mileage, as the mfg recommended spark plug change is (IMO) too long to wait. Last thing you need are plugs seized in the Aluminum heads.

I've also been having a coolant loss issue, so I have to do head gaskets, and one of my cylinders is going to need to be re-ringed (I am at 69K miles no less too).

Pay strict attention to everything as far as maintenance and care as the 4.6s in my opinion aren't as bulletproof as the old Windsor small block 260/289 and 302 motors.

But even with what I have to do, I still love my 03 Limited. It's great, it's roomy, comfortable, has been very reliable, and most of all, I trust my safety in it along with my family. I've gone through trails, snow, off-roading on the beach, and it's been everything I could have asked for.

Good luck with it! You'll love it!

i would do a fuel filter too.

Ford says plugs at 100k. I bought my 04 new and it was 36k. I have about 65 k miles on it i think.
i WILL probably do plugs before 100k miles.

Forget all other maintenance and pay attention to that 5R55W transmission. You'll thank me later.

Plugs + Wires

Synthetic Motor Oil

Synthetic ATF

K&N Air Filter

Fuel Filter

Coolant Flush

Bottle of Fuel System Cleaner ( Every so often )

Alignment

These should keep ypur X running at optimal factory condition...

Back