New welded roof rack mount | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New welded roof rack mount

i drilled 2 holes in my roof, ran the wires through that. and it sealed great. you have to make sure that the edges of the holes are grinded down or you have a plastic ring to put in it or you will end up cutting and grinding out your wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good suggestion Gmanpaint!

I went the way of an f-150 with the single bolt using the plastic wedge and a giant wing nut

Yea, had no interest in drilling into the roof and worrying about leakage and stained headliner down the road, silicone or not. Just another potential problem, IMO. As for the spare lock down, I like the idea - would just have to figure out a way to lock it to the rack. Would take a little welding and ingenuity. Straps hold fine for now, though.

I just bought two J-Hooks (79 cents each) and used spare tire wing nuts from a junkyard cars trunk to hold the spare onto my Yakima MegaWarrior. I wasn't about to spend the money on what they want for a spare hold down bracket, hell I only paid $35 for the Loadwarrior and mounting brackets from a dealer theat didn't want to sell the truck with it on there.

how did u secure that to the factory rails?

on mine I made what they call "T" nuts that slide into the rail and you can move it around and then screw it down tight.

in Jason's app I believe, because he had four factory rails, he used the existing nuts from them to hold the new roof rack to the factory rails.

how did u secure that to the factory rails?

Just saw the question now, sorry for the delay. Lizard is correct - I removed the bolts that hold the roof rails in and bought longer bolts that now go through the base, into the rails, and into the roof.

Can you post pics of how the heck you bolted it to the truck? I'm super curious :)

hope this works. if it did you see my fishing rod holder on my roof rack. at the base of the rail you see a tuber running down to the factory rail. after I made my own "t" nuts to put in the factory rails to hold my roof rack on.

Back