• Register Today It's free!

New Wheels Questions. HELP ME

chris bailey

Reaction score
City, State
phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
So I've had cars my whole life, 20's on my last Audi etc, but I'm brand new to the SUV world. Kind of a newb on this subject so I'm looking to get some slightly off-roadish wheels that aren't huge, but wrap them with some larger tires like say 20's or 22's. So the whole tire size vs rim size stuff has got me lost.

So basically looking to do something a little more aggressive like below, so smaller wheel, but larger offroad tire. I need some serious help with sizing and some examples or something because im pretty lost.

f787c88a30ecd5eaec3ac307f074c54d.jpg

Black Rhino Black Combat Wheels | RealTruck

my explorer

UBQA19B.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out tire dealers web sites. Some will have a simulator where you can put in the make and model of your vehicle and then add the tire and wheel combination and take a look at how it is going to look.

If there isn't one on their web site then perhaps a visit to a dealer will get you access to the same computer program.

The top pic has a lot of "poke". I don't think you can get away with that much on the explorer without modifications as the fronts will likely make contact with body/frame/something when turning.

Ideally, you will want to find a shop that will work with you and help fit rims/tires to get what you want, but that can be costly. The cheap way out is to just use an online rim/tire sizer (willtheyfit.com) to determine how far you can manipulate offsets and tire sizes before spending time/money on rims/tires. You can also search online to see what others have gotten away with to try and narrow your size/offset. The basics of rim/tire sizing are the same regardless of car/truck/SUV.

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
Why not just put some all terrain tires on the wheels you have? All Terrain Tires
The smallest wheel that will fit is an 18" which you may already have. Making too radical a change will affect some of the vehicle's systems such as ABS and Traction Control. Larger wheels = more weight that will also put more strain on the brakes and suspension.
I use this site; Tire Size Calculator - Compare Tire Sizes | Tacoma World You should try not to exceed the 3% in the Diameter Difference.

Peter

Chris...Welcome aboard!...take your coat off and stay a while.

Tire Rack.Com has many simulators for tire/wheel packages to help get a rough idea how it will look on the vehicle. It even allows you to pick color.

Note if you are doing true off-roading, you may not want to get too fancy or expensive on the rims themselves. Also keep in mind the tires you don't want to be too obtrusive which also means sticking out. Some Clown almost side swiped me this morning not with the vehicle.....with the tires that stuck I would estimate at least one-two feet beyond his fenders well into my lane. Fortunately my cat like reflexes avoided the mishap.

The top pic has a lot of "poke". I don't think you can get away with that much on the explorer without modifications as the fronts will likely make contact with body/frame/something when turning.

Ideally, you will want to find a shop that will work with you and help fit rims/tires to get what you want, but that can be costly. The cheap way out is to just use an online rim/tire sizer (willtheyfit.com) to determine how far you can manipulate offsets and tire sizes before spending time/money on rims/tires. You can also search online to see what others have gotten away with to try and narrow your size/offset. The basics of rim/tire sizing are the same regardless of car/truck/SUV.

Ya i should have clarified I'm not looking for that crazy of a poke but it being mostly flush is fine. let me see if the will they fit site helps

Ya i should have clarified I'm not looking for that crazy of a poke but it being mostly flush is fine. let me see if the will they fit site helps
Drop a line down from your fender and measure to the rim/tire. That will let you know how far you can go to be flush. Then when you find rims/tires you like, you can plug in the specs and see where they are. The rear track is narrower than the front, so you may want to consider a 10-15mm spacer to equalize them (or not).

So I think I narrowed it down to a wheel and had some questions. The wheel below, if I were to get an 18" couldn't the tire sidewall be able to be bigger? Asked the wheel salesman and he said there would be no real difference between the 18 and 20 in regards to tire size.

Basically trying to get as big of a tire as possible without any rubbing.

Mozambique Truck Rims by Black Rhino

Quick question chris, what did you do to tint the headlights and fog lights? Did you do the rear as well? Have a pic?

Quick question chris, what did you do to tint the headlights and fog lights? Did you do the rear as well? Have a pic?

All my lights are tinted, headlights are a much lighter shade. Had the shop that painted my trim and roof do it. You can usually find a shop that will do it pretty cheaply, I recommend paint over someone doing a film if you dont mind it being permanent (looks better).

Back