Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

New Wiring harness?

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by iwannax, June 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. iwannax

iwannax New Member

City, State:
      NE Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 XLT
      Is there any way of replacing or fixing a damaged wiring harness? The 1994 explorer was parked outside for a few months while I was away at college and when i started it up it ran like straight garbage. When i opened the hood I was amazed the thing didn't catch on fire, let alone start.

The wiring harness is chewed to bits. Many wires are completely chewed through and the rest are mangled and bare. The main area of attack is the drivers side where the main portion of the hiring harness is. It looks like it would be a huge project to tackle by myself.

Is there anywhere I could buy a new harness or take it somewhere to get repaired?

Thanks
      ..... stupid stupid animals....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Iron Weasel

Iron Weasel Active Member

City, State:
      Belen, New Mexico
      1994 XLT 4x4
      Best bet would be to find one of those "U-Pull-It / Pick-A-Part" junkyards and snag the engine harness from the firewall out. There are a lot of things to disconnect, but that would probably be the cheapest & easiest thing to do.

If you took it somewhere to get it repaired.....probably be looking at at least $500 or so in labor to repair it.

4. iwannax

iwannax New Member

City, State:
      NE Ohio
      '94 XLT
      Thats what I was thinking. I'll start making calls tomorrow and start digging I guess.