1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Newbie says "hey"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jtison, December 23, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jtison

jtison Member

City, State:
      W Connecticut
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 XLT/155 Kmiles 4x4
      Just registered a few days ago, thought I'd put up my virgin (#1) post.

A couple of weeks ago, I became the 3rd owner of a '94 XLS with 115K miles on it. I just got through doing the immediate "new/used car" work (brakes, lights, etc) and have been taking great advice out of this forum.

I do most of the work on my car myself, and there's lots of good information in this forum's archives about DIY stuff.

I'm about to do shocks all around ... I'm not real fond of the way the XLS recovers from turns & bumps -- the shock housings themselves are beginning to show some flaky rust ... time to change 'em out. I'm not much of an off-roader, but I do live in New England, where in the winter, on-roading resembles off-roading a LOT. ;) Am looking at reasonably-priced OEM replacements, I suppose.

I also hear noises coming from what I think might be the rear springs. Was watching a show on Speedvision a couple of months ago where they took a '62 Corvette and did something called a "gaiter wrap" on it: undid the U-bolts, de-scaled & stripped the existing rust/paint/gunk from the leaf springs, painted them, shot grease between the leaves, bolted them back up, and wrapped the leaf spring packet with duct tape; then drove that around for a couple of weeks. Anybody done this with their Explorer? Any advice? Results? (Is it worth the effort?)

Peace, everybody. Am looking forward to getting knowledge from the best source: those who've been before me.

--Jim--

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ExplorerSportNu

ExplorerSportNu Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St.Louis - MO
      95 Sport/ExpeditionPkg
      Welcome to the site, never heard of that mod but I'm sure someone that has will chime in ;)

4. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Vancouver B.C, Canada
      1992 XL Ex-Police
      Welcome to the site:D

Is it an XLT? There was NO XLS in 94, only XLT and XL.

5. Redrig

Redrig Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Gettysburg,PA
      1997 Mountaineer
      I cant help you on the mod but welcome to the site.