• Register Today It's free!

Newbie says "hey"

jtison

Reaction score
City, State
W Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT/155 Kmiles 4x4
Just registered a few days ago, thought I'd put up my virgin (#1) post.

A couple of weeks ago, I became the 3rd owner of a '94 XLS with 115K miles on it. I just got through doing the immediate "new/used car" work (brakes, lights, etc) and have been taking great advice out of this forum.

I do most of the work on my car myself, and there's lots of good information in this forum's archives about DIY stuff.

I'm about to do shocks all around ... I'm not real fond of the way the XLS recovers from turns & bumps -- the shock housings themselves are beginning to show some flaky rust ... time to change 'em out. I'm not much of an off-roader, but I do live in New England, where in the winter, on-roading resembles off-roading a LOT. ;) Am looking at reasonably-priced OEM replacements, I suppose.

I also hear noises coming from what I think might be the rear springs. Was watching a show on Speedvision a couple of months ago where they took a '62 Corvette and did something called a "gaiter wrap" on it: undid the U-bolts, de-scaled & stripped the existing rust/paint/gunk from the leaf springs, painted them, shot grease between the leaves, bolted them back up, and wrapped the leaf spring packet with duct tape; then drove that around for a couple of weeks. Anybody done this with their Explorer? Any advice? Results? (Is it worth the effort?)

Peace, everybody. Am looking forward to getting knowledge from the best source: those who've been before me.

--Jim--

Welcome to the site, never heard of that mod but I'm sure someone that has will chime in ;)

Welcome to the site:D

Is it an XLT? There was NO XLS in 94, only XLT and XL.

I cant help you on the mod but welcome to the site.

Back