Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Newbie to cb's

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by LOGJOCKY, November 10, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    which antennas do you recommend. i plan to mount it on my roof rack when i order everything. also, when running the coax wire from the cb to the antenna, would it cause interference if i ran a power wire next to it going to the lights on the roof rack? thanks. everyone's been a really great help.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Blue Steel,

First, why not a magnet mount?

Second, make sure the roof rack antenna mount is grounded really well.

My opinion on antennas is a Wilson antenna is about the best out there right now. Which one, well that depends on your use. I use a Trucker 5000 for my road antenna now, I did use the 2000 but I good deal came up and I bought the 5000. In the woods I use a Flexi-Whip, 24", it has enough bending to it to allow for trees and does not move around too much. The flexi-whip is mounted on my roll bar, sort of like your roof rack, and works really well for the trail/woods. The Trkr5000 is a mag mount and it too works really well.
    My wife's vehicle, when she allows me to put in a CB, uses a Wilson "Little Wil", this is a short mag mount antenna, it works out great for a temp install in her vehicle, (A Navajo).

All of my antennas are Wilson; I switched from a K40 to the Wilson line and have not been disappointed.

So, figure out how you want to use the vehicle/radio and buy the antenna that applies to your needs/cost.

Good Luck on your choice, everyone is different and all have an opinion, so if it works for you than do it.

One last thought, try out some antennas from friends see how they work. If the Rat Shack antenna works the way you think you want it to then OK use it.

4. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    okay, this is what i think that i will get. please give opinions, comments, suggestions, gripes, etc.
    a K40 3' Superflex Whiip
    a Uniden Pro 520XL CB

now the questions (jeez I have a lot of em)... where can i buy the cable to run from the cb to the antenna, and what kind, etc. does radio shack supply good cable or do i need to got to a cb store or order it online.
    do cb's work like marine radios? from what i gather channel 9 is the emergency channel, like channel 16 on marine. also what channels are public, and which are reserved? there are 40 channels that are accessible on this cb that i'm seriously considering. from what i gather that's normal. are there more? cb's work on the am frequency right? thanks so much for everyone's help. it's super super appreciated.

5. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    sorry. another thing that slipped my mind. what does "peak and tuned" mean when ordering the cb. regular price, then add 10 bucks or 5 bucks for the "peak and tuned" model. what exactly does this mean? thanks again.

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    I have the Uniden Pro 520XL and I have been happy with it thus far...just installed it last weekend. I've got it coupled with a 3' Wilson SilverLoad mounted to my factory roof rack. I got everything, except my cable, from www.exportradios.com cause they were recommended here and they had the best prices. I ordered my cable directly from Firestik (www.firestik.com). Firestik is awesome to work with. I called them and ordered 30 feet of cable and 2 PL-259 connectors (one attached and one that I could attach myself) and it came to $16 including shipping and I got it in 3 days. I'm planning to do a short write up of my install as soon as I get the pictures developed.

7. Stephen S

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
  8. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    awesome. thanks stephen. where did you mount your cb? i am looking to mount mine since it's so small in the bottom hole in the center piece just after the cup holders in my truck. cut a hole out of that plastic and mount it there.

9. Stephen S

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    I've got my CB stuck to the driver's side of the center console with velcro. It sits with the controls facing upward right next to my leg and I can reach it easily. I didn't want it hanging off the front of my console, and I don't like drilling into things :nono: . I'll have a picture of it pretty soon and I'll post it if you'd like to see.

10. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    i'd definately like to see a pic of you can put one up here or email me one. i'm one of those people that want everything on the table in front of me before i decide to do anything. i've already drilled some holes in that center part for switches, so i don't feel too bad to cut some more off that piece. if i mess it up i can always head out to the scrap yard and get that piece off a wrecked explorer.

11. Stephen S

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    Cool man. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I get it on my computer.

12. TarHeel085

TarHeel085 And den

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    '99 Sport 4wd
    i might get a cb for trail use, and i wanna know where you guys get those brackets to mount them under the bumper, or are they custom make buy someone. i dont really want to drill into my bumper.

13. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    under the bumper? do you mean dash? if you mean dash, you could just make a custom bracket for the smaller cb's. they're pretty light, so you wouldn't need anything too hefty.

14. TwoToneX

TwoToneX my pockets hurt Elite Explorer

City, State:
    broomfield, co
    '90 XLT 4x4
    He could be talking about the attena....Which I would like to know how it's mounted to the bumper....

15. Stephen S

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    Well, here you go...
    [​IMG]

I started a thread describing the install in more detail if you want to read it.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39319

16. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    CB vs Marine Radio, and "tuned and Peaked"

Jockey, and all;

CB is an unlicensed radio service, unlike Marine Radio (licensed). As such, there aren't any formal FCC regulations for, or assignments of, channel useage. By "tradition", channel nine has become widely accepted in North America as the "emergency" channel. Some radio manufacturers have even adopted this by assigning special "addressing" to ch 9, so you can go directly to it by a single button, etc. Many areas have CB radio groups such as "REACT" that have members who frequently "monitor", or listen to channel 9 so they can relay emergency calls. The only other widely held "tradition, or convention is that channel 19 is considered the highway, or "trucker's" channel, This is good to listen to while traveling for road info, etc. Any other channel "assignments". are sort of traditional, by area. Here in So. Cal, Offroaders often use the lower (1-6) channels out on the trail, but this isn't in any way mandatory.
    Your'e free to use any channel agreed upon by your group while wheelin'.

As for "tuning and peaking", this is when you pay a CB shop to put your radio on the test bench, and to check/adjust the reciever for maximum sensitivity, and the transmitter for maximum design power output. Most newer radios come from the factory pretty well aligned, but it may help a bit to have the shop do this. I never have, and my radios perform fine.

Hope this helps

17. Hank

Hank Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Cape Coral, FL
    '91 EB
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to jump in here and offer my unwanted opinion.

Unless you are a serious radio nut don't waste your money on an overpriced CB. Get a HAM. If you are going to use it for trail chatter get the cheapest CB setup you can find.

I picked up a remanufactured Uniden Pro 510xl from the Damark catalog for 20.00. I then waited for Radio Shack to put their mag mount antenna on sale. Think I paid 19.99..

That is right, the whole setup for 40.00. Works fantastic. When on the runs (FL guys) we can hit each other through the woods/hills and from a long distance on the highway.. (few miles) Most of the guys say I stomp them out when I key up. Mdrut has a nice radio from exportradios.com. When communications get hard he and I are the only ones left standing..

Spend your time getting a good clean install. Good connections, grounds, antenna centered and high. If you take the roof rack approach run a ground somewhere. I had major ground problems when I put it on my rack. Now it is on the roof.

Take the money you saved and put it towards a lift kit or more audio for your Ex.

Oops forgot one detail. I spend another 10.00 for the Jacobs 10amp noise breaker from a member on this site. This killed ALL rf noise. The radio is really clean now and I don't have to keep the squelch up high anymore.

18. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    thanks stephen. you don't have that center console thingy that i do, and that pic reassures me that the radio will be small enough to fit where i want it cause i'm looking at the exact same model. ray thanks for clearing everything up with the channels. now i know what channel to listen to when i'm on the highway after i get everything installed. hank, where can i get this jacobs 10amp noise breaker and where do i install it? when i install things, i usually like to get it done right the first time so i don't have to continuously tinker with the thing after the fact. thanks for all your help everyone. hopefully my stuff will come in soon cause i'm getting antsy to install everything once christmas break arrives after my exams.

19. Hank

Hank Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Cape Coral, FL
    '91 EB
    Hello,

I purchased the noise breaker from someone on the site. I would go to Jacobs Electronics web site and look for a distributor. My guess is any decent stereo shop or speed shop could get one.

Unit goes in-line, (both wires + & - pass through/connect to the unit.) on the circuit you want to isolate. I would install AFTER the fuse for the circuit.

My order would be/is: Tap into your electrical source, go to a fuse, in one side of the unit, out the other and intor your CB. (very easy)

Hope this helps.

20. Ray Hutchinson

Ray Hutchinson Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Dana Point, CA
    '93 XLT
    Antenna and power line filters

Hank, and all,

Hank has a very important point about the antenna location. Assuming the antenna is in good condition, location is a very important factor. "High and centered" as much as is possible and practical is definitely best. Centered on the vehicle roof: for Explorers that's actually about over the dome light location, because the hood area counts in figuring the "center". This makes the radiation pattern the most non-directional (a good thing).

Also the point about spending time with the install and wiring is also important. I see guys that wouldnt think of skimping on their stereo install, but will try just clipping the radio power leads to some convenient hot wire, then tossing the CB on the floor, and wondering why it doesn't work well :confused:

Mount the radio solidly, provide a good ground (in addition to the (-) wire on the power leads), and its best to run #12 wire, both + and - direct to the battery. This reduced noise that might be picked up on the other wiring in the vehicle. The power line filter is a good idea. Mounting it close to the radio will help filter any static that the power leads may pick up on the run through the engine compartment. Don't forget to fuse the the new radio power leads close to the battery, in addition to the fuse near the radio.:cool:

21. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    i plan on mounting my antenna to my roof rack. when running the coax cable from the cb to the antenna, does it make a difference where i run it? which would be better, running it inside the plastic moulding on the ceiling of the truck or on the floor? i plan to run it from the front of the truck where the cb will be to the rear cargo door and run the wire through a grommet there to get to the roof rack. thanks for the help everyone.