1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Newbie to cb's

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by LOGJOCKY, November 10, 2001.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '07 XLT Ironman
    I did a combination of both. It's in the ceiling until the rear passenger door...then I dropped it to the floor and ran it to the dash under the door sills. I guess it doesn't really matter much how exactly you run it. Just remember that you're gonna need a lot of cable if your gonna go the route I went. I had 25' and it was barely enough. In fact I wish I had about 2 more feet to play with when I did my install.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Blue Steel

Blue Steel Active Member

City, State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Explorer '97 XLT SOHC
    good thing i ordered 30 feet then. just making absoloutely sure that i had enough. you can always tuck it away somewhere, but can't add more. arg! can't wait any longer for my stuff to come in...

4. Stephen S

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman
    Where did you order your cable from??

If you got it ordered with both ends already made up, then you'll have to cut one end off to get it through the rubber grommet in the hatch area. The PL-259 connector is way to big to pass through just about anywhere. And since you'll have to make up another end, you can just cut off any excess cable you have so you won't have to worry about stashing it.

5. Char

Char Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe Staff Member Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Wittmann
    1993 Explorer XLT
    Callsign:
    KB7TKQ
    You definitely want to cut the excess cable because the cable has what is called 'loss'. You lose some of the signal as it goes through the line so the more you have the more 'loss'. So cut the cable to the right size. You can leave a little for some play.

6. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    LOGJOCKY, :ca: :chug: :usa:

How's the CB install going ?
    Is it completed yet ?
    What CB did you use, how did it work ?

Keep in touch.

73, Happy Holidays

7. Stompah

Stompah HAWAIIAN NITEMARE

City, State:
    Hilo, Hawaii but reside in Ridgecrest, CA
    '94 XLT 4WD
    scratched 95 said...

I actually am unmounted right now (using a mag mount temporarily when needed). I used to be on a permanent mount just behind the front roof rack cross-bar, but that is where I have the ham antenna now. I'm looking for a good location, probably will end up either on the rear bumper or another permanent mount just in front of the rear cross-bar.

I have mine (4 foot PowerStik) mounted permanently near the rear crossbar but eventually will move it somewhere else myself after I put on a roof-rack.

I was kinda thinking about mounting the antenna on the drivers side top front fender just opposite the am/fm radio antenna. I don't like mounting any antennas on bumpers due to high SWR's coming from reflection off the body. Plus, I don't like mounting antennas (that are radiators) in-line on the roof because of the reflective/directional radiation pattern it'll radiate.

I've been experimenting with antenna systems for a couple of years now, and that's the best place I can think of that won't immediately affect both HAM and CB antenna performances.

I need to get out of this CB mode and get my ticket already. Going to the quieter frequencies aren't so quiet anymore. Too much Mexican skip...

:redexp: :usa: :redexp:

8. Stompah

City, State:
    '94 XLT 4WD
    Char stated...

You definitely want to cut the excess cable because the cable has what is called 'loss'. You lose some of the signal as it goes through the line so the more you have the more 'loss'. So cut the cable to the right size. You can leave a little for some play.

True but not so true.

True being that there is gonna be loss of signal going thru any type of feedline but depending upon the velocity factor rating of the coax, sheilding, manfacturing material of the coax, and so on so forth. But not so true in a non-hi power, mobile station setup.

In a 'bear-footed' set-up, there is not much noticeable "loss". Especially with 30 feet of coax. 36 feet is notable to be 11 meters (CB Frequencies) so 30 feet is somewhat almost proportional to what it'll serve in a CB radio setup.

My setup has 28 feet of RG-213/u Mil-C-17 coax running into various radio signal enhancement material (wink, wink ;) ).

SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO THE NEWBIE CBER???
    Not a darn thing. You can use any length of coax well within 36 feet. There won't be any noticeable loss in signal strength or reception as far as the novice radio enthusiast is concern. Especially for short range communication use. One thing is for certain... DO NOT COIL YOUR COAX ON ITSELF AND STASH IT IN THE HEADLINER. Cut the coax down to a comfortable length to play with and then tune the antenna to the best of an SWR that can be obtained. Have a good one folks...

9. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    I am not sure what the actual loss is on 11 meter but it is low.
    Most coax is fine.

I always suggest to use the best coax you can afford.

10. Shotguns2

Shotguns2 Member

City, State:
    Coal City, IL
    I know alot of this is about CB installation and stuff, but what about CB lingo?

11. Stompah

City, State:
    '94 XLT 4WD
    I know alot of this is about CB installation and stuff, but what about CB lingo?

Start a new thread, then...

Besides, don't be suprised when the Hams kinda frown upon that... 2 pennies folks!

12. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Thisis one HAM that will not frown on it.
    Please use any form of communication you can.
    A good CBer will make a good HAM and the flip-flop.

Pleasefeel free to ask any question pertaining to RADIOs in general. I for one will answer you the best I can. Yes it may be a little tilted towards HAM stuff but you will get an honest answer.

13. Char

Char Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe Staff Member Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Wittmann
    1993 Explorer XLT
    Callsign:
    KB7TKQ
    I think it's a good idea. If you learn how to use a CB correctly, then you'll be more likely to use a ham radio correctly. It's very good that you want to know. As Sandy said we may lean towards ham radio, but will help any way we can.

I would start a new thread for CB lingo.

14. Hank

Hank Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Cape Coral, FL
    '91 EB
    Char, does this mean I can break out my book of cb lingo from the 70's? It has to be in the garage somewhere. Post Convoy movie era..

"I'm 10-200"
    "Breaker breaker good buddy"
    "What's your 20 good buddy"

:)

15. Shotguns2

Shotguns2 Member

City, State:
    Coal City, IL
    :bounce: Yeah, Yeah get it out!

16. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    :usa: :chug: :ca:

Shake the trees and rake the leaves Good Buddy, it's all clear fer shur.

Hank,
    Go for it, it might be interesting to relive the fun times of CB Radio.

Talk to the World, become a HAM Radio Operator.

17. CHH777

CHH777 Once...

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4
    Ima gonna get those Duke boys, kew, kew, kew... C'mon Flash!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I just got a freebie CB and was following the thread for hookup info...

18. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    :usa: :chug: :ca:

CHH777,

There is a lot of info in the forum to get you started in hooking up your CB.

A CB does not take a lot of current so a hook up on just about any power wire will do BUT a lot of people like to run the wire directly from the battery positive terminal with a fuse at the battery. Why a fuse at the battery you ask, Well, if for some reason the wire were to short out between the battery and the fuse at the radio then there would be a heat and maybe a fire a fuse will blow before a fire will start.
    Next, make sure you ground the chassis of the radio to the frame or to the body, make sure the ground point is metal and make sure it attaches to the ground system in the car.
    Get good coax, if there is one thing I like to tell people when installing a radio is to buy the best coax you can afford. Minimum, I would buy some Belden RG-8X, this stuff is a little larger than RG-58, RG-58 is what comes with most antennas that you buy. If you buy a magnetic mount it will usually come with coax, so use the stuff that comes with it.
    Mount the antenna as high and center on the vehicle that you can.
    Set the SWR with a decent meter not the meter in the radio unless that is all you have. If you do not feel able to set the SWR then take it to a good radio shop and have them do it. Could be the most important thing that you do in the setup.
    If you use a bumper mount or a clamp on type of antenna mount, make sure you run a ground wire to the body of the vehicle and then to the frame.
    Let see, what else can I say, one thing that you will find out a HAM will never, NOT have anything to say.

Good Luck,
    Ask questions...

19. Stephen S

City, State:
    Houston, TX
    '07 XLT Ironman

Sandy, could you explain a little more about why this is necessary? I neglected to do this when I installed my system, but I don't seem to be having any problems. What does it prevent, or help with? The positive and negative wires from my radio are connected directly to the battery, as instructed. Do I still need to ground the radio chassis? Thanks.

20. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boston Area
    2003 Ranger Edge
    Well the first thing is that every setup is different.

I setup my wife's Navajo with a CB for a run with the local club and all I did was put the CB on the rear seat, ran power from the cig lighter, put a magnet mounted Little Will antenna on the roof and it worked great. The grounding consisted of the black wire to the cig. lighter and the magnet of the antenna mount.

I usually run a ground from the chassis of the radio, either a cover screw or back panel screw, to a metal part of the vehicle and/or frame. It is the way I usually setup all of my installs and I don't usually have a problems with any of them except my own.

So, if your system is working and performs the way you need/want it to, then I would leave it alone.

Good Luck, Enjoy talking on the air waves,