1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Newbie to rocker panel repair/replacement...

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by joeyd71, July 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. joeyd71

joeyd71 New Member

City, State:
    Oil City, PA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Explorer XLT
    Finally did some poking around at a rust spot near my running boards yesterday, and found out that my rocker panels are rusted up pretty good. I have been reading a few posts on here about replacing them, but I just want to get everybodies input on what I need to replace. From what I can tell, I will need an inner and outer rocker panel, and also the dogleg. Tell me what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Question: What is a good site to get both the inner and outer rocker panel and the dogleg? I see sites selling some, but not all of those.

Hopefully this task just looks intimidating and I don't end up paying somebody to do it...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
  4. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
    Dewey, Az
    1996 XLT
    I would have a body shop do the work (or at least a friend with experience). This kind of body work is pretty involved. If you have the tools, then go ahead and tackle it. Use a MIG welder instead of flux core wire. You will get a much better weld (don't ask me how I know), Call a company called Mill Supply for replacement metal parts, or LMC truck. And if you don't have an air chisel, you can drill out the spot welds. There is a special drill for that. You may have to call Eastwood for it. Eastwood also sells a rust converter to spray inside frame rails that should work real well to keep the rocker from rusting out again after you are done with the replacement.