Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Newbie with a problem 70 MPH Whine in dash

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by brianstrange, July 21, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. brianstrange

brianstrange New Member

City, State:
      Ma
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2008 Limited
      Hello Forum! I own a 2008 Explorer limited, and am getting a whine between 70 and 80 MPH. The noise exists both in gear, and neutral, as long as you are traveling between 70 and 80 MPH. When it began, it sounded as if it was coming from the front left side, and was much quieter, almost as if it was outside. I thought it was a wheel bearing, but I was wrong. After replacing it, the sound is still there, and sounds like it coming from the cluster. I hear it in awd, 4wd, drive, overdrive, neutral.... It is speed dependent, and engine RPM has no factor whatsoever. It doesn't sound like a transfer or trans bearing, or axle whine either. It quickly cuts in and out, and reminds me of a loud, noisy speedo cable. Has anyone had a similar problem, any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      It must be tough that even after replacing the wheel bearing, you’re still hearing the noise. Have you considered having a Ford dealer diagnose the concern? I’m not certain if there’s anything I can do to help, but private message me with your VIN, contact info, approximate mileage, and dealer name if that’s an option you would consider.

Cory

4. brianstrange

brianstrange New Member

City, State:
      Ma
      2008 Limited
      Cory, I'm an old Ford Tech, and prefer to work on my own vehicles. This sounded no different than the 100 or so bearing assemblies I replaced in the past, and would have bet it was the issue. I have the old hub as a spare, and I'm sure it will be put to use in time.

5. brianstrange

brianstrange New Member

City, State:
      Ma
      2008 Limited
      Problem Solved

The noise is related to the windshield trim. Over time, mine opened up enough of a gap to allow the wind to produce a distorted whine sound, that is very similar to a wheel bearing. I discovered the sound would change pitch, in sync with the wipers, when placed on high. It would almost go away for breif moments (milliseconds). I taped the molding to the windshield, blocking the wind from getting under it, and the noise is gone. Now I just need to determine if the windshield seal failed, or just the plastic surround/trim.

Again, the noise was present with the car traveling at 70 MPH, under all loads / conditions, even with the car off, and coasting.

6. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
      Dearborn, MI
      I’m really glad to hear you figured it out. Keep us updated with what you find.

Cory