newby ranger front diff question TOO! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

newby ranger front diff question TOO!

Roccotn

Reaction score
City, State
McMinnville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Hello everyone. I just picked up a clean 2000 ford ranger xlt 4wd. Love the truck, but i am fighting a growling/grindingnoise in front end. This is one of many forums i have joined since i got the truck.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. My truck has the live axles and its grinding up front at higher speeds (more noticeable at say 55+mph). Noise doesn't change when turning. i have replaced the hubs though cause there was a turning related noise earlier. I've also removed the excluder seals from both wheels cause they were in pieces and making the squeak they are famous for, as well.
I believe the growl is from the front diff. When i pulled the axles for the above mentioned repairs the passenger axle came out with the intermediate shaft attached (I should mention that I couldn't separate them). There is only a seal in the axle tube. No bearing that I can see. Should there be one? Is it way up in the tube or something?

With that said I have located a 3.73 diff with an intermediate shaft here in TN and am planning on swapping it out this week. I'm assuming I should replace any bad seals or bearing in the used diff and pop the cover to inspect beforehand. Any other advice? I still need to know if there is supposed to be a bearing in the end or in the middle of that axle tube, though.

Any help is GREATLY Appreciated! :salute:

Edit: Also, I assuming i should replace that passenger half shaft since the intermediate shaft is stuck to it :(

Back