1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Newfrom Illinois

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ffpmme, August 14, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. ffpmme

ffpmme New Member

City, State:
    Davenport, Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Explorer Limited
    Hello Everybody!

I just stumbled on this website and it is really cool!!! I have learn a lot from the 10 min I am spending surfing the site.

I currently have a 2000 Explorer Limited 5.0 V* that I just bought, 3400 with 93K on the odometer. I have tons of the repair/ maintenance records for the truck, so far I am pretty happy with my purchase. :burnout:

I have a few issues with the truck however, i will list them here in order of importance and please comment on them for me. I have the problem and solution. If you have a idea for the solution please let me know!! I can use all the help I can get.

1) Leaking axle gasket on drivers side rear. Do not think it is bearing just gasket. Not sure how long it has been like this. This is really my top priority becasue I DO NOT want to fry the dif and axle. Do not have all the $$$ to do it right now, but will have it check and topped off with fluid tomorrow. 350 to replace both axle seals.

2) Windows/door locks do not all work right: Driver master can control front 2 windows. Back 2 do not go down from driver, they will (sometimes) go down from back seat, but then will go up from driver control. Sometimes they get stuck down. Tail gate does not lock/unlock with out using key.
    Local mechanic said replace driver master control unit.

3) Only 1 key no remotes: This is possible to be #2 just because if I lose the key I am SOL. But I have good luck with keys. Bugger issue is remote, it is just s pain not to have a remote. Tec question in the 00 can u set the doors to unlock when you put it in park or shut off ignition like newer cars? Get out of the driver and go to to other side rear to take out DD and forget to unlock the car is kinda annoying. Remotes are cheap for 15-20 on Ebay, just need to do #1 first I feel.

4) Pass rear door is rusted at bottom. Went to body shop, replace door. for that and to replace scuffed and scratched front bumper 1K

5) No Hitch. Found some for 200'ish I could install. bolt onto the frame. Rigid and other name brands. Good idea? Anybody done it before?

6) Paint protection. Not a lot of scratches, no dents!!! but its 12 years old, lots of swirls. Just want to take care of it. 130 @ a guy recommended by a body shop in # 4.

Never thought about, but reading here got me thinking about the shocks. Does nto seam very hard just do not break stuff. Plenty of nut buster and PB blaster and I should be ok.

Any other ideas or things I shoudl be looking at please let me know. I woudl really like this car to last me a few years. I am willing to spend some money, but in a level expenditure.

2. Support EF

Special! - 2 Year Elite membership now through July 24 $20!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    Welcome to this forum!
    1. You have to replace the seals. Lucas might work until then.
    2. Check the wiring between the door & frame for cracks.
    3. An automotive locksmith or alarm shop might be able to help.
    4. Try a junkyard or cantact a vendor on this site.
    5. Try EBay or Craigslist.
    6. Try compound or wax.