Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Next Ford Explorer to be a CUV

Discussion in 'Auto Industry News' started by Nate1, January 2, 2007.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
    Morris Plains, NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    92 XLT
    I saw nothing on the Ford site other than maybe the short blurb that the next Ex will be a CUV. I did see a short blurb in 4Wheeler Magazine that said the Ex will become a "unibody crossover on the same platform as Volvo's XC90."

The Flex is replacing the Freestar minivan. If its like a minivan it will have very low ground clearance because minivans are designed to be easy for children to ingress/egress. And, forget about all terrain tires.

By contrast, the XC90 has a ground clearance of 8.9 inches. Explorer is 8.2 inches, and the Taurus X, designed as a family wagon, is 5.1 inches.

We live in hope.

Bob

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. trj360

trj360 Well-Known Member

1999 XLT SOHC
    Did you ever post these pictures anywhere? I'd like to see them.

4. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
    Morris Plains, NJ
    92 XLT
    I definitely want to see pictures of what it can do offroad, or at least on unpaved roads.

There is a rumor on the Freestyle web site that 2009 will be the last year for the Taurus X (formerly Freestyle). Its a good design but apparently doesn't sell very well. So, my guess now is that the new Explorer will replace the Taurus X and will be like either a lifted Taurus X or a Volvo XC-90, without the expensive Volvo drivetrain and suspension. Ford no doubt still wants to capitalize on the Explorer name. So, I guess the lineup will be:

Escape: small crossover SUV
    Edge: Yuppie crossover CUV to compter against Nissan Murano, etc.

Explorer: Midsize crossover SUV, replacing Taurus X.
    Flex: Big crossover minivan replacement.
    Expedition: big truck-based SUV.

Bob