Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Next project vehicle?

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by 2000StreetRod, November 9, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      The stock Explorer main intake is shown below. The outside diameter of the coils is about the same as the inside diameter of the Lightning intake.
      InTube7.jpg
      So I cut off the section of the Explorer tube that mates with the MAF sensor leaving two of the coils.
      InTube8.jpg
      Then I applied Shoe Goo between the two coils and inserted the section into the Lightning hose.
      InTube9.jpg
      After the 24 hour drying time I tightened the hose clamp to reinforce the joint, applied vinyl conditioner to the Explorer section and installed the assembly. Thankfully, no modification of the air filter enclosure is needed due to the slight curve in the Explorer section.
      InTube10.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      The Explorer throttle body is shown below. The distance between the cruise control tab and the cable mounting bracket is 5.6 inches.
      CblGuide1.jpg
      The square cutout is for the cruise control and the round cutout is for the throttle control. The Mach 1 bracket has the same cutouts.
      CblGuide3.jpg
      However, one of the previous owners had deleted the tab for the backup throttle plate return spring. So I drilled a hole in the bracket for the spring.
      CblGuide4.jpg
      The Explorer cruise control cable is about 1/8 inch short so the throttle plate does not return to the stop. The shop manual indicates there is no mechanical adjustment. However, the PCM may provide a slack adjustment via the stepper motor. If it doesn't I'll try bending the bracket. The Explorer throttle cable is excessively long so I configured a loop in it.
      ThrottleCbl.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    4. 2000StreetRod

City, State:
      Greenville, SC
      00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
      The series 400 5/8 inch diameter oil hose I ordered finally arrived Tuesday so I cut it to fit and installed it with appropriate fittings. Hose 1 below with the check valve is the output from the remote filter block adapter and hose 2 is the return to the block from the remote filter.
      InOutHoses.jpg
      The remote filter mount is shown below. The 90 degree fitting item 1 is the inlet to the filter from the check valve. Item 2 is the output from the filter that goes to the block.
      RFRailMount6.jpg
      Item 3 is the inlet to the remote filter from the pre-luber. Item 4 is the inlet to the pre-luber that will come from the oil pan when I cut and fit the 1/2 inch diameter series 400 hose.