Next project vehicle? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next project vehicle?

I want a mid-size 4 door SUV to drive when my 2000 Sport is being modified. I was planning to purchase a 2000 4 door Explorer with the SOHC V6 to take advantage of what I've learned, spare parts and my SCT PCM programming software package. However, I realized that at my age my next project vehicle will probably be my last. I've always been partial to DOHC engines since I purchased a 1958 Jaguar XK-150 in 1965. A recent thread: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap has captured my interest. I didn't know that the Aviator came with a DOHC V8 engine and was based on the 3rd generation Explorer. Since I don't like the looks of the Aviator front or the 500 lb weight disadvantage I've become very interested in swapping an Aviator engine into an Explorer. My long term objective would be a fairly quiet rear wheel drive 3rd Gen with a DOHC 4.6L V8 stroked to 5.0/5.1L and possibly forced induction.

I'm aware that the 2002 Explorer is probably the most complained about Explorer ever. Most of the complaints are associated with transmission failures. I could use some help researching which 3rd generation Explorer would be the best project vehicle.

I think the 5R55W and the 5R55S were possible transmissions. Were both used with the 4.6L? If so, is one more robust than the other?

Which transmission was installed in the Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L?

I've started another thread about the planned engine: DOHC 4.6L V8 build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

an you add another license to the pro racer package?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

X3

You should get one with a serial starting with X3 so you can get good datalogs.
You could use it to datalog both vehicles and use the ones holding 10 tunes just for tuning them.

married X3

That's a good idea John. Married X3s are cheap because they have to be sent back to SCT to get unmarried (which I heard costs around $150) in order to program a PCM. But they still can be used on multiple PCMs for datalogging. The same is true for X3s with no unlocks remaining.

sensor differences & similarities

The Aviator has a fuel rail mounted pressure sensor but the 2002-2003 Explorer doesn't. I'll attempt to use the Aviator sensor with the same type fuel pump controller I used in my 2000 Sport.

I'll use the 2002-2003 Explorer stock MAF sensor until I add boost unless I stroke the engine and approach the sensor limit.

I'll attempt to utilize an Aviator EGR system module in place of the 2002-2003 Explorer DPFE sensor and EVR. I'll just not wire the MAP signal since the Explorer PCM doesn't support it.

The throttle position sensor on the Mach 1 throttle body is the same as for the Explorer.

The twin knock sensors for the Aviator are the same as those for the Explorer.

The crankshaft position sensor for the Aviator is the same as for the Explorer.

The camshaft position sensor for the Aviator is the same as for the Explorer.

The engine coolant temperature sensor for the Aviator is the same as for the Explorer.

The cylinder head temperature sensor for the Aviator is the same as for the Explorer.

Esm

I thought there was no map signal wire but they just left it out of this diagram.
Here is some helpful info.

Attachments

• ESM.jpg
    ESM.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 763
  • ESM2.jpg
    ESM2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 735

Map signal wire

I wonder if the map signal wire could be used as an analog input to the X3 to datalog boost/vacuum.

EGR system

John, that looks like the diagram for the Aviator that has the integrated EGR system module (EGR valve, EVR, DPFE sensor and MAP sensor).
Aviator3.jpg

My 2002 shop manual CD shows the discrete EGR system.
IACVDia.jpg

And the electrical diagram agrees with the drawing.

My Mach 1 intake system uses the discrete EGR system components. I would rather use the integrated system to eliminate the orifices in the EGR tube and the hoses that connect the orifices to the DPFE sensor. I think the Aviator EGR system module will bolt directly to the discrete EGR valve mount on the Mach 1 manifold but the tube port will face the driver side instead of aft.
Mach1a.jpg

I don't have one to try and haven't determined if there is room for a 90 degree or 180 degree bend. As Luke provided in post 42 the PCM expected DPFE signal values are the same for both systems.

egr's

The egr system with 3 separate parts is called the DPFE egr system.

The egr system where all three parts are one is called the ESM egr system.
ESM stands for Egr System Module.
To date all the ESM's work the same way. The only differences is which way they are clocked, the egr tube connection and the electrical connector.
All you have to do is find a year make and model of the way you want it clocked and it should work. (that is if the ESM can replace a DPFE system).
On the ESM the restriction is the gasket so you will need that too. The ESM is better since when it is closed you don't have hot egr gases pushing into the sensor all the time.

There is a third EGR system called EEGR or stepper motor EGR. EEGR stands for electronic egr. That system would not work in place of DPFE.

egr

Here is a Borg Warner 1814, looks like it is facing the right way.
Your local parts stores probably have one in stock so you can be sure of the clocking.

Attachments

• egr1814.jpg
    egr1814.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 649

Evr

The EVR (egr vacuum regulator) on both systems (I used 2002 Explorer DPFE vs 2005 Crown Vic ESM) were both 26-40 ohms according to the pin point tests. So the pcm should be able to control either without being damaged.

The engine coolant temperature sensor for the Aviator is the same as for the Explorer.

The cylinder head temperature sensor for the Aviator is the same as for the Explorer.

While these 2 statements are correct, the function of both is different. The aviator uses the ect for temperature input to the pcm and instrument cluster. It uses the cht sensor only as a fail safe sensor. The explorer only uses a cht and does not have an ect in the system. You might have known this already, but I didn't learn it until I out the aviator pcm in my explorer.

Bwd egr1814

Thanks John, that looks just like what I need! I had determined that using the Aviator ESM would be a problem because of the wrong angle of the EGR tube port. I found one for the F150 that would probably work.
EGV1033.jpg

So now I have two options. I have a section of the Aviator EGR tube that includes the end that connects to the ESM which helps.
This looks the same as BWD EGR1814
EGV1041.jpg

Wasted sensor

While these 2 statements are correct, the function of both is different. The aviator uses the ect for temperature input to the pcm and instrument cluster. It uses the cht sensor only as a fail safe sensor. The explorer only uses a cht and does not have an ect in the system. You might have known this already, but I didn't learn it until I out the aviator pcm in my explorer.

I was not aware of that and thank you for posting. I've confirmed that's also true for the 2003 Explorer. The output of the sensor doesn't go to either the PCM or the instrument cluster. I prefer the ECT sensor to be near the thermostat making it easy to monitor thermostat functionality. I also like having a CHT sensor since that is the most likely to have a hot spot that could damage the engine. I wonder if the PCM strategy still supports the ECT sensor and if it could be enabled. If not, I'll investigate installing a gauge to display the ECT.

Thanks John, that looks just like what I need! I had determined that using the Aviator ESM would be a problem because of the wrong angle of the EGR tube port. I found one for the F150 that would probably work.
View attachment 81512
So now I have two options. I have a section of the Aviator EGR tube that includes the end that connects to the ESM which helps.

2000streetrod,
That picture you posted has the two vacuum nipples broken off. lol.

reliable V8s

There have been two 2003 rear wheel drive Explorers with blown engines posted on the local Craig's List for less than $1,000 in the last two days. But when I contacted the sellers both vehicles had V6s - no surprise. From my standpoint at this time the V8's better reliability is a disadvantage.

Dipstick, tube & exhaust manifold

I found a good photo of a Mach 1 block with the oil dipstick and tube installed.
Mach1Exhaust.jpg

The dipstick tube comes up between the head and exhaust manifold with a bracket that attaches to the head. My Aviator head is identical to the Mach 1 head but my Aviator exhaust manifolds are different - the EGR port is on the passenger side instead of the driver side. I suspect that an Aviator, Mach 1 or Cobra oil tube will fit but not an Explorer tube. The DOHC heads are wider than the SOHC heads requiring a different bend in the tubes.

Edit: The Ford database part number for the Mach 1 dipstick tube is the same as for the SOHC V8. According to the shop manual drawings the Aviator dipstick attaches in two places: one to the head where the Mach 1 tube attaches and a second place higher up to the top of the valve cover stud. All of the Lincoln dealers I tried are out of stock of the Aviator tube and they can't order one because it is no longer available. I haven't found a part number for the MK VIII dipstick tube nor a photo that shows how it attaches. I found a photo of a 1998 MK VIII block with the dipstick tube attached.
MKVIIIc.jpg

I'll try to find one of them since the Aviator one isn't available. However, the oil pans for the Aviator and the MK VIII differ significantly so I'll purchase an Aviator dipstick since it is still available from Lincoln.
MKVIIIb.jpg

I found a photo of a 1998 MK VIII dipstick and it doesn't have the second upper bracket.
MKVIIIDipStick.jpg

So I give up on trying to find one with the upper bracket.

Coolant hose?

The following Mach 1 photo shows a hose that connects to the rear of the water pump housing to cool something but I haven't determined what.
Mach1Valley.jpg

Since the DOHC and the SOHC blocks are the same can anyone tell me what the coolant hose connects to?

Edit: I think I found the tube in the Explorer manual - heater water inlet tube? Luke, is this what you were referring to for connecting the added head coolant ports to?

Goofy cooling system

According to the Aviator manual much of the engine cooling system is external to the block. I was considering a remote oil filter adapter but have realized that would complicate the engine cooling system since the thermostat housing is associated with the oil filter adapter.
TstatHousing2.jpg

TstatHousing3.jpg

I found the above listed on eBay so I guess I should purchase it and try to replicate the Aviator cooling system with minor modifications.

Back