Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Night Shade: Adventure trailer build thread.

Discussion in 'RV / Trailers / Camping' started by gmanpaint, May 15, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 & 95 XLT's
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    El Paso, TX
    2007 Brown eb
  4. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
  5. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    El Paso, TX
    2007 Brown eb
    Lol an ensuite might come in handy

6. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I guess. Lol.

Some primitive camping In areas of moab, you actually have to have something like that, or the rangers make you leave. They don't want you leaving your worthless crap behind I imagine.

7. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    El Paso, TX
    2007 Brown eb
    It's 50% off if you wanna take advantage of that offer...

8. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Can't tell if your being a smartass or actually suggesting, that abomination be used in this build.

9. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    El Paso, TX
    2007 Brown eb
    Hahaha better than a toilet seat in a Homer bucket:p

So.... Progress?

10. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Well, it's not really a topic I was planning on getting into on this build, as it is a camping accessory.

I do have a small camping chemical flush tank commode, but haven't used it since the kids was little. These days a portable folding seat, with special bags and chemicals is used, then disposed of after camp break down. An exterior mounted Trash a Roo bag holds those bags until back to civilization. We also use a shovel and dig holes for waste.

Progress is slow, just as spare funding for it. Been a long hard winter for me, and barely any work to live on, let alone throw at this thing. Spring has sprung, and the work is picking back up, so the work is & will pick back up on this.

I have managed to start gathering the major items needed for the water supply. I built a cardboard box using the tank measures, for mock up purpose. I settled on a 30 gallon potable fresh water tank, and 3.0 gpm instant on 12v pump. 20 & 25 gal tanks are not much smaller in size, so 30 it is. Those are on the way, and a week or so out. I am currently researching on what type of plumbing I want to use for it. Pex lines are cheap, sturdy and easily available, it's just all the connectors that are costly. I would use Shark Bite push to connect fittings if I did this. Pex is not pliable, so any turns require elbows, at $10/ea. A simple Pex shut off valve is almost $25/ea. I added up over $150 for most of them, and compared to brass fittings, or even plastic, Pex is 5 times higher. Figuring out the routing, fittings needed, all has to wait until the tank & pump are mounted.

For the heavy filled 250 lb tank, a good solid mount is needed, but not that easy as it might seem. I have planned on using sections of 3" angle iron bolted to the flooring on both sides of the tank, then single E-Track strap mounts, and ratchet straps securing it over the opposite sides of the angle. This will lock it in place side to side, and front to back. It will rest on 60mm rubber membrane.

Gravity fill 1.25" ID tube routed to the cabin wall, and a 3.5" hole cut, then a gravity fill spout with screw on cap installed. This spout dealio also has a mesh screened vent hole and barbed nipple for a 1/2" vent hose to the tank. Supply lines will be plumbed to the front and the rear of the trailer, with an inline shut off valve for each. 1 for the hot water heater, and 1 for the kitchen use. The heater can be used with 30-80 psi from the pump. The pump I got has 45 psi, but can adjust a bit +/- psi. I have to figure out a good mount for that pump close to the tank still. Same with wiring and switch location. I want to keep the switch inside the cabin to prevent accidental activation.

The kitchen slide out and storage slide out are still being planned out, as I keep changing it up as I research parts/methods for the build. Some ideas look great on paper, but not so great on real world applications as parts are non existent, too hard to fabricate, or simply wont work for this or that. I'm super close to the final draft tho.

The vinyl graphics have been worked on for months now, and has been finalized, and ordered. Going to be some time for those to go on tho. Have to finish the build, then clean & polish wax the entire cabin, and boxes prior to install. The themed graphic design & color is subtle. Just enough to give it a nice contrast, but nothing annoying and yells at you like a billboard.

Oh, I did build an aluminum shelf for one of the front side box compartments. lol

11. Turdle

Turdle This is my custom user title Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    The "digging a hole" can turn into digging a grave depending on how long and how many--just sayin' . After 4 people and a week, the 'loo bag turns into a body bag only worse.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    LOL, yeah, we know this from first hand experience, don't we. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    El Paso, TX
    2007 Brown eb
    Eww Jon, tmi:fart:

Gregg that really is impressive! I wish I had a tenth of those skills

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    Now hold on a minute. Did you see that thing? It is very cool, and I think you need to incorporate one of those into the build. Then you can say you have everything, including the kitchen sink.

EDIT: If you scroll down the link page, there is the "ala carte" sink and commode separate, and they total out to $138.

15. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    LOL, no thanks. I did look at it.

While this trailer does have some amenities to it, it is still not full on glamping with an RV. As stated in the very first post, this leaves some of it on the roughing it side of camping.

I have a brand new Cabella's double sized shower tent, and the folding stool already, and that is far more than needed as is. :)

16. BKennedy

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    That commode/sink combo would fit nicely in that shower tent. I have a nice RV, but I do enjoy tent camping as well. Tent camping puts you more in nature whereas RV camping puts you on top of it. It all depends on where, when and who is going.

It would be kind of fun to pull that out of the Explorer and have a nice sit-down in the middle of the Mojave Trail.

17. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Lol, that would be a funny sight to pull up on that scenario.

I'm fighting for every sq inch of room inside and outside of this as is. No room for what I already own for camping now, let alone add something as bulky as that thing. Lol

If a lady has an issue using what I offer for doing the biz, then she is SOL!! Us men will be happy with a wind screen, and the NY times, to clean with.

18. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    The good:
    Water tank & pump showed early. Can finally start fabricating the brackets for them. :)

The fill tube and supply tubes that came with the pump, are weak sauce tho. No wonder they said it was a free kit included. Lowes has some good reinforced tubing, sold by the foot. Need to find some decent clamps too.

The Bad:
    Bought a nice 40k btu 2 burner High altitude Camping stove on Amazon. Price was lower than anywhere else I seen this unit, so I snagged it instantly. 4 days later, I get an email from the seller saying, they refunded my $$, and the reason was due to "Account Adjustment" .... WTF!! I wrote them and asked for a detailed explanation. I knew what they did. They screwed up and posted the wrong price, seen it with my order, then cancelled the order so they didn't have to honer the advertised price. I checked the item again, and yep, sure as snot, they raised the price. Scumbags. I even paid for an extra 2 yr warranty for it, but since that was from a 3rd party, I didn't get refunded for that. I looked, but couldn't find a way to reach out to Amazon about it. Sigh...To good to be true thing I guess.

The unknown:
    I want to add quick disconnects to the front shower supply line. The only thing I can think of for this is high pressure hose fittings, like for power washers.These discos can be seperated, and keep the water pressure held in the line, just like air line connectors. Reason for wanting these is the 2 fold. 1) Stainless bearings. 2) larger 3/8" ID. Air line connectors are a small 1/4" ID and restrict water flow, plus bearings rust with moisture. Some high grade auto type have stainless guts, but the ID is still too small.

Problem with this is the supply line is 1/2" tube, and the heater end is 3/4", same as garden hose. I have only found those discos in 3/8 NPT. Need some conversion fittings for this to work. A bulkhead fitting in a side wall, with the disco outside for easy access, then the supply line tucked away neatly inside, permanently mounted.

C'mon Google Foo!! Don't let me down!!

Edit: Google foo foo for the choo choo, resulted in me learning that I was thinking of the wrong type of quick disco's. The power washer style are pass threw, no stops. I need Industrial Hydraulic line fittings with either a ball or poppet style valving. There are so many applications for this style it's mind boggling with the number of combo's offered. I will have to talk to one of the companies to help figure which is best for my application, after giving them all my specs, want's, & needs.

Last edited: March 29, 2019
  19. BKennedy

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    I would send the seller a message complaining to them about their poor business practices and threatening to complain to Amazon. Tell them they owe you whatever it cost for the extended warranty.

• Like Like x 2
  20. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    I got an automated response email from amazon about my email to the seller. It says they have 48 hours to respond. Not sure what happens if they don't. Hopefully Amazon steps in and helps out. If nothing becomes of it, then I will attempt to get a refund for the warranty. If they say to bad, then I will do as you say BKenendy, and reach back to the seller about it.

21. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    You can’t cancel the warranty? I had a warranty on some headphones and was able to cancel it up to 30 days after purchase. I actually intended to use it but “returned” the warranty instead of using it.