Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Night Shade: Adventure trailer build thread.

Discussion in 'RV / Trailers / Camping' started by gmanpaint, May 15, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 & 95 XLT's
    1st nice Saturday of the year. Decided to open up the tent and awning for the first time for a dry run and learn a few things.

First off, I had to deflate the tires to 2 lbs just to get it out of the garage, and it still scraped the weather stripping on the overhead door opening. Once outside, I had to install the ladder (2 bolts), as it adds a couple inches in height. Yeah, and then remove it to get it back inside. smh

I learned that the tent opens easier than it folds up. I fought it and fought it to get it back where it needs to be to get the cover on. I ended up removing the rain fly & poles off it, and storing them inside. It helped, but it still was a fight to get it right. Hoping the more I use it, the easier it gets.

I also learned, I need to buy the ladder extension. Set at the recommended height of 78", the ladder is straight up & down, fully extended. What the French Toast? I might just get the telescoping style instead, depending on price.

I didn't fully open the tent. I didn't feel like opening the windows, and installing the big ole Annex room, or the severe weather hood. I don't think I need a shake down on those items. The rain fly has skylights tho, that's pretty fly for this white guy.

The awning is alright I guess, but I do believe it is coming off, and going on the rig. I will save up for a Foxwing, or Batwing 270*. The LED's are bigger & brighter than I expected, and the dang switch even works.

Also tested out the solar panel while it was out in the sun. It works, the end.

RTT 1st open 1.jpg
    Awning 1st day opening.jpg
    Awning & RTT open.jpg
    Awning LED on.jpg
    Solar panel 1st charge.jpg

Last edited: April 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    El Paso, TX
    2007 Brown eb
    Which part was the one with shipping issues? Black & red? Or the beige one? Or none of the above?

4. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    The black & red awning J. Thanks again for helping with that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    Your vision and fabrication skills are amazing. There's no way in 'H' I could ever even start something like this.
    It's all coming together. Congratulations!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Thanks Dono! :)

About to shift gears with the rear interior build. Going from metal to wood, with completely different tools, and mindset, takes a bit of adjustment. After working with metal, wood feels like molding with clay, or spreading butter on toast. No forgiveness at all.

I'm that guy that get's nervous when someone passes me the newborn child. I look at my hands, and all I see is two blocks, and no digits. That newborn looks like an oiled football. Lol

I do believe I am going to get a Kreg Pocket hole Joinery jig, for the Hardwood being used. Will be as strong as Dovetail joints, but nowhere near as hard to make. Need some special clamps, bits, and hardware for this Jig, but once I own it, I can build some other items for the home in the future.

7. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    That’s looking awesome, man. Incredible work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. jad2411

jad2411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    El Paso, TX
    2007 Brown eb
    I bought the kreg jig and it works great, i think there's a HF version, but i got the kreg one and the straight cut jig too

• Like Like x 1
  9. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Right on J! I have heard good things about that jig. I have the circular saw straight edge guide from Kreg, it is a handy attachment.

So today I decided to swap out the new severe weather 7 pin harness. I tested it out on the new vehicle side connection first. Guess what? It doesn't fricking match up! There are a few female leads that are smaller in width than the rest, and too small to let the male leads join. WTF is with these manufacturers?!?! Why can't they have something like this made in a Universal standard?!?!?! :angryfire:

So now, I either return this item, or find the matching vehicle side harness. Problem with the vehicle side, is it won't work with other trailers. SOB!! These MoFo's should have listed this in the advert for this item. You know, something like... "You need to purchase the matching vehicle side for this to work, or your SOL MFER's!!" :censored:

To add salt to the wound, because of the safety cog, the intermediate cable will not fit either! :banghead:

Guess it's getting returned. Damn, this upsets me. :rant:

7 way leads comparison.jpg

Ok, on the positive side, the new 135 on/ 150 off psi switch for the ARB compressor arrived. lol

10. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    That female side of the plug looks like a standard 7 pin RV plug. Its what I have on everything.

11. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Really? Yours have diff size female ends?
    The Male side (vehicle side), is which I believed to be the standard.

Edit:

Thanks BKennedy! I'm so glad you said something!
    I just took apart the security box, and the new trailer side connects to the intermediate cable no problem. I threw a fit for nothing. lol

The male leads on the new vehicle side are wider, and is the problem. Good thing I didn't install it yet. It's going back, if I can find the receipt! lol

Now to find a new vehicle side. Crisis avoided, forgive the meltdown please. :)

Last edited: April 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    You're good, take it easy. I love your passion, this is far better entertainment than face book etc. We all relate to your reactions to problems, you just put it out on here more than most. Keep going, you're great.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Humility, or egg on my face. Whichever fits. Lol

So far, my build mistakes have been minimal, and I'm thankful for that. I can always correct any unseen wrongdoing as well. I started this build full knowing I would make some. I am not one to back down, if I think I have a chance at success. I do know my limitations and concede to them, and do my best to figure alternatives.

To be honest, this build is the coolest thing I have ever made, with my own hands. Really hope to make my kids proud of their old man, and share it with them on the trail.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BKennedy

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    The female plug is the towing vehicle side, not the trailer side. You know, a innie, not a outie. It really looks like a standard 7 pin RV plug. I have never seen a seven pin plug like the male or trailer side with the different sized lugs.

15. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    If your going by the center pin then yes. But I am not.

I have been talking about the 6 blades (pins) of diff size not fitting in the female connectors, which are in the trailer side. If you look at the picture close enough, you can see markings on the plastic from the bigger blades, trying to fit into the smaller openings.

16. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    The overall connectors, one is male, one female. I wonder what that odd one you have is for, the one with several smaller terminals?

17. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    That was my initial thought as well. Since all the blades in the vehicle side are the same and the receptacles on the trailer side varied in width, I believed the trailer side was messed up. The new trailer side wouldn't fit into the vehicle side, as its wide blades stopped it.

Once I took off the intermediate cable, and compared the ends, I found that it too, had a few smaller receptacles.

When plugging in the new trailer side, to the intermediate cable, it fit, and pushed in all the way.

Seems we all have different ways to name these two harnesses, so naming them vehicle and trailer sides is the best way I can try to eliminate confusion here.

Oddly, I just tried fitting the intermediate cable into the vehicle side, and it locks in. The openings are bigger, and allows the blades to slide into the female leads.

All 3 hooked up.
    The vehicle side
    The intermediate cable
    And the trailer side.

All 3 harness together.jpg

Please disregard all of this, as I should have tried that, before mentioning any of this. Lol

Now to do a continuity check as the wire colors differ from them.

Last edited: April 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BKennedy

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    OK, OK, OK, now I think I get it. Maybe. Does the intermediate cable have a male plug (one that fit inside of another plug) on both ends? If so, then that would explain the one plug being different so it cannot be plugged in the wrong way.

19. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Has both Male and female. Its just a 3 foot extension.

20. BKennedy

City, State:
    San Diego, PRofK
    1994 XLT
    OK, OK, OK, then I don't got it.

21. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    So I have the new 7 pin harness 100% done. That was way harder for me than I ever expected it to be. With 4 different wire components in this setup, it took some head scratching, and a few sheets of paper to get right. That final sheet with the circuits shown, is getting laminated! lol

New silicon jacket harness installed, and wired up to the J box. Black conduit that runs along side it is the battery charge cable to the tow rig.

Silicone jacket harness on.jpg

I have to swap the Blue brake wire from the J box, to the axles. It is a 14 awg now, and I want a 10 awg. I happen to have enough leftover 10 awg from the solar install. That wire will work well, as it has a special thick jacket on it for exterior use.

For charging on the move..... I ran an 8 awg wire from the tow rigs smart charger under the hood, to the rear bumper, then ran another 8 awg wire to the J box (the bigger brown wire shown in the box), and then more 8 awg (Bigger red wire shown on the left), to the 100 amp circuit breaker and batteries. Since that circuit is separate from the 7 pin harness, I only use 6 of the pins. That 7th wire is not used, but is still available for something down the road if wanted. I left it long, and capped it with a butt connector and tape. It's the bright red 10 awg wire you see in the box, and the end tucked out of the way. There is one unused port left on the J box for it too.

J box wired with new harness.jpg
    Trailer harness diagram 1.jpg

Swapped out the compressor switch for the 130 on / 150 off as well. Tested it and it worked as it should. Nothing exploded, or burst, and didn't leak. Guess that was a small victory. lol

Last edited: April 13, 2019