Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

No brakes

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Sugo Kaidan, June 24, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Sugo Kaidan

Sugo Kaidan New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '94 explorer sport
      Right now on my 94 Explorer there are no brakes, I changed the Master Cylinder on it because the brakes were spongy and lost pressure whenever I tried to drive it any distance. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the ABS for it, I've unplugged the relays and fuses and the pedal kept going to the floor like when everything was plugged in.
      With the engine off pressure builds up and holds, but when I crank it over to start the pressure vanishes and won't build up any at all. I have pulled a hose off the booster and it clearly holds a vacuum when it's running. I've jumped the tester for it and only get the code "17" for Reference Voltage.
      I hear that air in the brake line would make it spongy but I don't get any pressure so I don't think that would be the issue right now. Any clues as to what I can do to correct my issues?

Source for codes were obtained here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258803

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      The ABS would not have an effect on brakes unless it sensed loss of traction. I guess you have it parked so ABS will not be activated, even if it had a power source.

I read very recently that bleeding air out of the ABS module can be difficult. I guess I would read up on any thread relating to brake bleeding and see what can be learned. I'll do some reading myself and let you know if I find anything useful.

4. Sugo Kaidan

Sugo Kaidan New Member

'94 explorer sport
      I'm not getting any pressure with the engine running, it just goes to the floor while pumping the pedal.

5. Sugo Kaidan

Sugo Kaidan New Member

'94 explorer sport
      Is there any way I can turn off the ABS system so that it's just the normalnon-assisted brakes?

6. Roadrunner777

Roadrunner777 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Bemidji, MN
      94 4x4 Sport 88k
      Sure, pull the fuses and relays associated with the ABS in the fuse box under the hood. You may need to check your owners manual to see which ones are which.

7. Sugo Kaidan

Sugo Kaidan New Member

'94 explorer sport
      Pulled the fuses and relays, still n brake. Then I unplugged the electrical lines for the HCU with and without fuses and relays and there was still no brake pressure. Would replacing the calipers and drum brakes be of any substantial change in a problem like this one?

I am getting pressure with the engine completely off and key out of the ignition.