No Butt-Sag W/Big Boat in Tow (pics)! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Butt-Sag W/Big Boat in Tow (pics)!

rvitek

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wauconda, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT 5.0
I know it's not the biggest boat in the world, but, it's big enough for me!

Boat weighs in at a nice 4600lbs (dry, 5000wet), with about 300 ~ 315lbs on the toungue. I was very concerned with the infamous XLT Butt-Sag, but I'm very surprised to see that my truck sits almost level (the tires are a bit squatty, added 5psi to combat it a bit).

Only suspension mods I've done are to lower the front 1" and changed out the shocks. I don't have the air-ride leveling system in the back.

Other than the surge toungue expanding and compressing on brake/accelleration, and the loss of gas mileage, I can hardly tell she's back there. It's amazing what all my mods have done to make my XLT an extremely capable mid-size towing SUV. I think the Apten chip was the best mod, as it put the truck into what other's are calling thier 'tow/haul' mode. The chip makes the truck hold it's gears a bit longer to develop more power. It does that very successfully.

Ry.
wave.gif

9266butt_sag-1.jpg

9266butt_sag-2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you have a little sag to me, but of course I don't see your truck every day.

Even if it doesn't sag much now, it may over time. I'd look into getting the air leveling system from Explorer Express if you're planning on towing the boat often. Since you have more of a street truck, helper springs definately aren't your best option.

That is a big ass boat! Looks good! I only pull an 18 footer with mine.

Ya there's a teeny teeny little bit of sag, but not much of it. I was expecting it to be slammed to the ground and to be dragging my tail-pipe :)

Thanks 5 - I'm totally impressed by this truck, and the boat's ride is amazing!

Ry.

Back