No display or entertainment center on 2018 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No display or entertainment center on 2018 Sport

Magus2727

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer Sport
I am going to be calling the dealership in the morning and I have not checked fuses yet. But the whole entertainment center is a black screen. I can not control audio through the steering wheel. I can control climate control through the physical buttons.

Has this occurred to anyone else? I am going to call the dealership in the morning. I have pictures and video of the behavior. Did a number of restarts and turning on and off the accessories and does not turn on. This happened once before but a restart "fixed" it and that was a few weeks back.

Thoughts? Suggestions for me to look at to provide details to the dealership?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to tell if it's a fuse since you were able to correct it the first time. Looks like fuse #32 in the cabin fuse panel is connected to the display and Sync. Otherwise I would expect a bad/dead APIM, assuming Sync3 has that item like MFT has.

Peter

That should be fully covered under warranty right ? Asking somewhat rhetorical since ether vehicle is only 4 months old...

What kind of repair is that? A "easy" swap or a multi day removal of the dash to replace the controller?

Exceedingly rare failure with Sync 3, probably a bad APIM. After fuse check, pull battery and reconnect.

Either way it is a warrantable failure, so rest easy.

Teardown and replacement of the module is fairly straight forward. It won't be a multi day nightmare. The time concern might just be sourcing a new APIM more than its physical replacement.

Well after a hour dinner at Buffalo Wild wings, the system came up. So most definitely not a fuse. How do I diagnose this with Ford?

Yes, if that is what the issue is, it is covered. In pre 2016 models the APIM was located behind the radio. MFT Black / Blank Screen

Peter

So whats the best way to show ford my APIM is going bad or is bad or has problems? Video record it when it happens and have a bunch of time stamped videos or picture showing its a problem?

I have had this happen on my 2018 Explorer Platinum about four times now. The display will be blank, no radio, no cameras, just black. If I turn the car off and back on, it does not fix it. However, if I turn the car off, open the door, turn the car back on, the display will restart. I have not gone to the dealer yet, as I know they will tell me that they will have to see it doing it before they can diagnose it. I will report it at my next service just to have a record of it. I see that this post is almost a year old, so I'm just wondering if any one else has had their system doing this. (Sometimes the threads are overwhelming to search.)

I have had this happen on my 2018 Explorer Platinum about four times now. The display will be blank, no radio, no cameras, just black. If I turn the car off and back on, it does not fix it. However, if I turn the car off, open the door, turn the car back on, the display will restart. I have not gone to the dealer yet, as I know they will tell me that they will have to see it doing it before they can diagnose it. I will report it at my next service just to have a record of it. I see that this post is almost a year old, so I'm just wondering if any one else has had their system doing this. (Sometimes the threads are overwhelming to search.)
Have you tried a Master Reset when the screen is working?

Peter

I do not know about a Master Reset. I will look into that and try that. Thanks.
Keep in mind what a Master Reset will do as per the Manual;
Completely erase all information stored in the system
(such as phonebook, call history, text messages and paired
devices) and return to factory default settings.

Peter

Yes I had this same issue and the "shut off and open the door" trick worked. Thanks for this tip.

I am going to be calling the dealership in the morning and I have not checked fuses yet. But the whole entertainment center is a black screen. I can not control audio through the steering wheel. I can control climate control through the physical buttons.

Has this occurred to anyone else? I am going to call the dealership in the morning. I have pictures and video of the behavior. Did a number of restarts and turning on and off the accessories and does not turn on. This happened once before but a restart "fixed" it and that was a few weeks back.

Thoughts? Suggestions for me to look at to provide details to the dealership?

Thanks!
Yes it happened when care was only 1.5 years old. I think it is a design flaw.

This happens to me maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I just ignore it and the next time I use the explorer, it works again.

Yes it happened when care was only 1.5 years old. I think it is a design flaw.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It sounds like a failing APIM to me.

Peter

Back