No Fuel Pressure. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Fuel Pressure.

Docjim1954

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I've got an unusual setup.

I obtained a 1949 Chevy Panel truck that sits on a 1998 Ford Explorer Chassis. It did run (or so I was told) but I can only get it to fire if I put fuel into the intake manifold. So far, I've checked the relays, fuses, changed the crankshaft sensor, fuel pump and fuel filter and the ECM. Also pulled and tested all the injectors and verified I'm getting spark. Still no start.

After changing the fuel pump out, I tested the fuel pressure and it was zero. Thus, I went back to the fuel pump. The pump activates for about two seconds, then shuts down even if we crank the engine. I took the first pump to my bench and tested it with power and it runs continuously. I hate to jury rig this thing to make the fuel pump work. I just can't seem to find a bad sensor or wire anywhere.

Any ideas or experience you can share would be very appreciated.

All sorts of things that should be connected probably aren't, like the steal stopper system and the collision fuel cut off switch.

I don't know how any of that stuff works.

The fuel cutoff switch is enabled and the vehicle chassis is complete, interior and all. Just the body of the old truck is sitting on the frame. So, in essence, it's a complete 98 explorer minus the body panels. In further testing I found that it's not the PATS (had the transponder tested) and I can get constant fuel only by shorting out the fuel pump relay (yes, I did replace the relay with a new one as well). So far the only way to get fuel after the initial prime is to short out the relay. PCM is new, does not need to be flashed. All fuses are good. Replaced the crankshaft sensor. Have no flashing anti theft light and have no check engine light. No codes coming out of the computer

Back