1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

no low end torque ,need help

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by hotstang111, June 20, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. hotstang111

hotstang111 New Member

City, State:
    ortonville, Mi
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '98 xlt 4 dr manual
    i have a 98 ex and i just put a brand new 4.0 ohv in it (dont ask how i got it) and im lacking alot of torque for taking off, i have to ride the clutch or it will bog out and then it has a hiccup around 1k rpm, i thought it was the fuel timing so i repositioned the syncronizer withe the correct tool from ford, it got slightly better but still very little torque. its a 1999 engine so would the computer(98') have the wrong fuel mapping from that year? any suggestion on what to look at

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 2000StreetRod

2000StreetRod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Greenville, SC
    00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
    fuel pressure?

Your 1998 stock was a return fuel system. In 1999 Ford switched to a higher pressure returnless fuel system. Did you use the fuel rails from the 1998? Also, I seem to recall there were engine wiring changes in 1999. Did you use the 1998 engine wiring harness with the 1998 PCM?

4. hotstang111

hotstang111 New Member

City, State:
    ortonville, Mi
    '98 xlt 4 dr manual
    yea i switched everything from the 98 so all i changed was the shortblock and the heads, intake and plenum, switched the fuel rail and injectors, it doesnt set any codes, the last code i got was the p0340 about a month ago

5. hotstang111

hotstang111 New Member

City, State:
    ortonville, Mi
    '98 xlt 4 dr manual
    how much would the backpressure effect it, i have a 2 1/2" flowmaster 40 with a turndown after the cats.