Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

No Power at all after replacing shift cable, 2002 XLT

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by DarkLoki, August 2, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DarkLoki

DarkLoki New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      Hello,
      Hope I'm posting this in the correct place. There are many threads similar but none that Ive found address my particular issue. I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. The shift cable went so I replaced it myself. When I put it all back together the ignition turns and all but there is absolutely no power whatsoever from a fairly new battery. It's like it has no battery, and doesnt respond to a jump.

I DID disconnect the battery prior to working on the column, cleaned all the connections, etc.It was running great before I messed with it. Ive since checked all connections, there is a big green connector to the right side of the column under the dash that has nothing in it but everything else is connected and I'm not sure it ever was connected to anything. I have also checked all the small blade fuses under the dash and all the accessible fuses in the box under the hood on the driver's side. Dont know what else to check but I'm sure it's something I did while replacing the shift cable. Please help and thanx in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 974X4BLACKSPORT

974X4BLACKSPORT Active Member

City, State:
      hudson
      BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
      CHeck you ground connections, especially battery to block, and block to chassis, both to the frame and the body. Sometime the shifter cable becomes the chassis ground when the other ground connections become bad, making the shifter cable also break.

4. DarkLoki

DarkLoki New Member

2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thank you for the reply. All the grounds I can find under the hood look secure and clean.
      Also, everywhere I recall where the cable met the chassis it was either insulated or embedded in a plastic clip. Not trying to be ungrateful, just trying to understand. Thanx again.

5. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      Check for corrosion between the battery cables and their terminals...

6. DarkLoki

DarkLoki New Member

2002 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thank you for the reply. I thoroughly cleaned all battery cable connections when I disconnected the battery at both terminals. It's the first time I worked on this vehicle so it's something I just do whether it needs it or not. Was pretty clean.