no rear brake presure on my 91,000 mile explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no rear brake presure on my 91,000 mile explorer

kumar_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
East LA...but in Huston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 2×4

ive been driving my explorer with little brake presure and today i drifted right before getting to the intersection. my wife and my 10 month old daughter were with me. im not scared to drive it like that. i assist the brakes by down shifting. i need to get that fixed quick but the parts are costly.

I think your 91 has rear abs only. Probably what is going on is the valve for it has gone bad witch is not letting brake fluid go to the rear brakes. Some one that has a first gen will let you know what you need to bypass it. All I know it is on the frame rail.

thanks. go to know imma check it out tomorrow morning. do u think if i bypass it wat would i do to the plug thats connected to the valve? cause i actually took it to a brake check place and they told me i had to get the master cylinder and the proportioning valve and the proportioning valve is the one u mention about the abs? the one thats blocky like peices of aluminum legos with a plug under the frame rail?

Yea I think we are talking about the same piece. I has a line coming into it and one out. It also has a plug in on it. Bypassing it would be taking the 2 lines off it and using something to join them together. Then I would just leave the thing plugged in. But before you bypass it make sure the plugin is getting power. If that thing does not have power going to it when the car is on the valve will be closed witch means no brake fluid to the rear brakes.

Back