No Reverse - Can the tranfer case cause this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Reverse - Can the tranfer case cause this?

amaximo

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 94 explorer 4x4 V6 with auto trans. Suddenly it will not go into reverse. It acts like the brakes are locked and bogs the engine in reverse but will not move. Park, nuetral and all forward gears work just fine.

I took it to a mechanic and he says that the transfer case is bad and will need to be replaced. Does this make sense? How would the transfer case cause this problem?

Everything I have read points to a transmission problem and I could not find anything that mentions the tranfer case causing this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfer case should have nothing to do with this. At a high level all a tranfer case does is put a gear on the end of the trans. Longitudionally thru the T-case the driveshaft is directly coonnected. On the gear there is a chain to another gear. This additional gear is connected to the front driveshaft. Now at a little lower level there is a motor the engages and disengages this chain to the front driveshaft/gear. Most T-cases also have a gear that will switch the gear set to a higher ratio.

At all times there is a solid mechanical connection between the input of the T-Case and the output to the rear drive shaft. AKA if it drives forward it should drive in reverse. My advice is to not go back to this mechanic. Its probably a trans related issue.

(Manual T-Cases have levers instead of motors)

if forward works then it can't be the t-case.

Exactly what I was thinking also.

This mechanic wants to charge me over 900.00 to fix the transfer case or he will give me 250.00 to buy my "Junk car". At least he only got me for 70.00 for the diognostic.

I am picking up the exploder this afternoon. When I have time I am going to checkout some of the easy fix possibilities that I have read on this forum.
Will let you know what I can figure out.

Thanks for all of your help.

$70 for what again? To lie to you?

Losing reverse is a tale tale sign of the auto transmission going out........the A4LD is KNOWN FOR THIS

It is NOT your t case
this mechanic must now know anything about Fords or 4x4's

I just had the same issue with my 2016 Ford Explorer, the transfer case was opened and there was nothing but mud inside of it. Replaced the transfer case at $3200 and I am now able to put my car in reverse.

Back