No start issue 2005 Explorer 4.6, round 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start issue 2005 Explorer 4.6, round 2

Brian Cain

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I have a 2005 4.6 Limited and about a month ago after driving to work it would not start. Just crank and crank. When the tow showed up it started and drove onto the truck, but upon getting home refused to start. I started cheapest and replaced fuel filter which had some red sludge. It started and ran for a bit. Upon taking for a test drive it died when I accelerated. Cleaned the MAF with engine cleaner and shot in the TB. It started but then died. Had unplugged MAF and forgot to plug back in. Once home it started. Plugged in MAF, died. Replaced MAF and it ran better than even before all the troubles. Problem solved...

Ran fine for about three weeks. Sat for about a week while I was out of town. Started and ran fine the 20 miles to work. On the trip home, accelerating up a hill after a corner, stuttered, died, and now has no start again. Unplugging the MAF has no effect. Getting gas as fuel can be smelled when cranking. TPS to clean or replace next on my list but other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unplugging a MAFS is the easiest way to diagnose a bad MAFS. An engine can run with out it. However, it is the #1 item the engine uses for fuel amount.

Also, only use MAFS cleaner. They precision instruments and must handled and cleaned carefully.

Little FYI, a major reason those cold air intake kits and cotton filters are bad is:

1.) They let huge amounts of dust and dirt into the intake. This means that over time you build up dirt in your intake manifold and your engine is sucking in dirt. Most importantly it is bombarding your MAFS with dirt which gives false reading, porr performance, poor MPG, and then kills the MAF off.

2.) The oil the cotton filters use easily destroys MAFS. This occurs when people over oil the filters or spray oil on the filter when the filter is on the car.

Glad you found your problem! Isn't it great when you fix it, and it is running beautifully?

unplugging a MAFS is the easiest way to diagnose a bad MAFS. An engine can run with out it. However, it is the #1 item the engine uses for fuel amount.

Also, only use MAFS cleaner. They precision instruments and must handled and cleaned carefully.

Little FYI, a major reason those cold air intake kits and cotton filters are bad is:

1.) They let huge amounts of dust and dirt into the intake. This means that over time you build up dirt in your intake manifold and your engine is sucking in dirt. Most importantly it is bombarding your MAFS with dirt which gives false reading, porr performance, poor MPG, and then kills the MAF off.

2.) The oil the cotton filters use easily destroys MAFS. This occurs when people over oil the filters or spray oil on the filter when the filter is on the car.

Glad you found your problem! Isn't it great when you fix it, and it is running beautifully?
Thanks for the reply, please see second paragraph though. :)

Scan for stored trouble codes FIRST, check engine light or not. Most larger auto parts stores do it free, call around.

Write the NUMBER(S) down and post them here. (See post #2)

OBD-II Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) | Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
Does not throw a code when it tries to start. It did start briefly after it died on the way home. It did code then. Looked them up, but they are written down at home. but I know first one was - P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input other codes related to fuel rail pressure but it was also in Limp Home Mode. Cleared codes and attempted restart, only turns over and throws no new code. Have done the reset on the Inertia Switch but didn't seem popped. No check engine light now.

P0113, P0191, and P0102

OK, thanks for all the replies. It turns out it was the Fuel Control Module located in the D Pillar. This Explorer had been hit behind the passenger side door and evidently the repair guys missed the cracked module.

Back