• Register Today It's free!

No-start/stalls when hot

Bwana Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Morris Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I was doing some errands on a hot day last week. After the Ex was parked for maybe 20 minutes, I started it but RPMs dropped off immediately and it stalled. Cranked it some more and gave it the gas and after a few attempts it started and OK. A few miles down the road it lost power RPMs dropped off again an dit stalled. This time I couldn't restart it. For the first time in 23 years and 245,000 miles, I had to have my Ex towed. Next morning at the mech that I deal with it started and ran fine. I checked fuel pressure and it was good. Mechanic drove it several miles and it still runs fine, but we have had a spell of cool weather.

My theory is that something electrical is failing when it gets hot, particularly after being parked with the engine off for a while, when components in the engine compartment get heat soaked.

I did a forum search and what came up was fuel pump relay, coolant temp sensor, and coil pack. Coil pack seems the most likely. It is my understanding that in most cases a sensor failure will not stop the engine from running. There are two items that I know of, other than fuel pump, that will stop the engine: The coil pack, if it's 2/3 dead, or the crankshaft position indicator.

By the way, when the failure occurred I did not see a CEL. Mechanic found no stored codes with the code scanner.

When I get it back I plan to inspect the wiring, do a continuity check on the crank position indicator pickup and the coil pack, then try again on a hot day, or perhaps use a heat gun on those items.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to keep the old girl past her 25th birthday!

Bwana Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't forget the computer itself. I had a similar problem with my '86 F150 a few years ago. Fortunately it would start after a few minutes, but the permanent fix was to replace the computer. You might want to look at the threads mentioning the computer, I think there were others with intermittent problems.
Larry, KC7JJ

Sounds almost like vapor lock, but surely not on a fuel injected engine.

I know it didn't throw a code, but check the O2 sensor as well. Not sure if your 92 has up and downstream O2's or not. But anyway, i have seen O2's go bad without a code, and cause the running condition you describe.

Also, don't rule out the fuel pressure regulator; runs fine, but then when it gets really hot...

I've had an issue always related to it having been driven then stopped for 30-30 minutes.
Start it up and it acts like it doesn't want to start. Then it starts and feels like it's loping.

No smoke, no check engine light. I'll gas it until it clears up. Usually does this on warm days (ie not during winter) but doesn't do it all the time.

I'm smell'n water in the gas due to condensation in the gas tank from weather change or possibly pumped it in at the gas station.

Add some water displacer to the tank and drive it for a bit.

Water in the fuel can also cause vapor lock. Speaking of vapor lock, check that your fuel lines are where they should be in particular the one coming up from the fuel filter. If the bracket has come off it can get right close to the exhaust.

Thanks, guys,

I'll keep you posted on the troubleshooting progress.

Bob

Back