• Register Today It's free!

Nobody cares about 4th gen?

Harley McIntyre

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Geneva, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer EB 4.6l
Why does it seem like no aftermarket manufacturers care about 4th gens? There's all kinds of stuff for every other generation but nothing really for ours? What's up with that? It's almost like this generation doesn't exist

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably because production numbers weren't high enough to cover R&D and manufacturing expenses to justify the effort to bring products to market. A lot of items for 3rd gen models will work on 4th gen ones as they share many components.

Probably because production numbers weren't high enough to cover R&D and manufacturing expenses to justify the effort to bring products to market. A lot of items for 3rd gen models will work on 4th gen ones as they share many components.
I guess that makes sense, just sucks cause this was the best generation imo and was the last one before it became a glorified sedan

I agree. I went looking to replace my 2002 Explorer XLT for something newer and my first thought was to look at the 5th gens. After doing some digging I realized they have mostly been relegated to being pavement queens for the most part. Plus, towing capacity is less and the option for a V8 is gone. The deal breaker for me was learning about the water pump problem with the 3.5L V6 in that a simple water pump failure can easily lead to a $6k+ engine replacement. Then finding that a preventative replacement of the water pump has a $1,400-$1,600 price tag. This would be even more because I would replace the guides and chains at a minimum with this type of repair. Then there is the carbon buildup on the ones with turbo engines.

After stewing on this for a few months I concluded that a decent 2010 model with a V8 was the right choice. It took another few months to find one that ticked all my boxes which turned out to be a fully optioned Mountaineer. I have had it for about three weeks and did the usual fluid changes to the transmission, transfer case, differentials, coolant and oil. It needed a radiator and tires which I used to beat the price down. The Carfax report for it showed two owners who both lived just outside of Washington, DC where there is little salting of the roads. It also had a decent maintenance history with no accidents, salvage title etc. reported. Plus, it was immaculate inside and showed hardly any wear to the seating surfaces and other interior parts. My guess is it was driven by women. The outside was very good too. Overall, I am very happy that I went this route. It will likely serve me for many years to come since I only put about 7k-8k miles a year on my last Explorer. Also, I saved myself a major wad of cash by going with a 4th gen over a 5th gen.

I agree. I went looking to replace my 2002 Explorer XLT for something newer and my first thought was to look at the 5th gens. After doing some digging I realized they have mostly been relegated to being pavement queens for the most part. Plus, towing capacity is less and the option for a V8 is gone. The deal breaker for me was learning about the water pump problem with the 3.5L V6 in that a simple water pump failure can easily lead to a $6k+ engine replacement. Then finding that a preventative replacement of the water pump has a $1,400-$1,600 price tag. This would be even more because I would replace the guides and chains at a minimum with this type of repair. Then there is the carbon buildup on the ones with turbo engines.

After stewing on this for a few months I concluded that a decent 2010 model with a V8 was the right choice. It took another few months to find one that ticked all my boxes which turned out to be a fully optioned Mountaineer. I have had it for about three weeks and did the usual fluid changes to the transmission, transfer case, differentials, coolant and oil. It needed a radiator and tires which I used to beat the price down. The Carfax report for it showed two owners who both lived just outside of Washington, DC where there is little salting of the roads. It also had a decent maintenance history with no accidents, salvage title etc. reported. Plus, it was immaculate inside and showed hardly any wear to the seating surfaces and other interior parts. My guess is it was driven by women. The outside was very good too. Overall, I am very happy that I went this route. It will likely serve me for many years to come since I only put about 7k-8k miles a year on my last Explorer. Also, I saved myself a major wad of cash by going with a 4th gen over a 5th gen.
Definitely, my 06 v8 is actually my first vehicle as I'm only 18, but so far I love it, it's had a few issues but they are age related mostly, thermostat, fan clutch is finally starting to go, and classic Wisconsin underbody rust, im about to cross 190k on it and I've had it since 179, crazy how I've put so much mileage on it since April when I got it, but it's been great, power is healthy and can definitely haul a bit of ass, I wanna find some light trails to take it on, maybe turn it into an overlanding vehicle which I think it would be perfect for. But being broke doesn't help the progress of that lol. Only time will tell! Just wish there were more upgrades I could do to it.

It is a good vehicle to cut your teeth on. I grew up in Indiana and there the salted roads just wreaked havoc on cars from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Just drive it and enjoy it is my advice. The money your save on not doing modifications will allow you to travel to more places and this might be better for you anyway.

It is a good vehicle to cut your teeth on. I grew up in Indiana and there the salted roads just wreaked havoc on cars from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Just drive it and enjoy it is my advice. The money your save on not doing modifications will allow you to travel to more places and this might be better for you anyway.
You might be right, honestly even when this one dies, I'll probably get another, always wanted a 2010 limited v8 with less than 100k but I still like this one and hope it can last me 300k at the very least, I wanna get some new wheels for it, something with a wider stance to help the look, that'll probably be my last investment into it and then taking it on trails should be a breeze

Harley, aside from aesthetics, the stock wheels (assuming 16" or 17") are easily able to fit even a 265/70 tire...I've got aftermarket wheels on mine and wish I had stockers. Mine are the same backspacing as stock though so that's not an issue. I'd hesitate to run more offset due the added stress on the hubs/bearings. Especially a youngster with a limited income ;).

I work full time job and a part time and hell, I can't afford to replace hubs right now...gotta get new tires this week and that's gonna be bad enough lol.

I think it was your thread I posted a pic of mine a few days ago.....the white EB with the black wheels...if we were closer in distance I'd almost ask if you wanted to trade.

I think the '06 is worlds better than the '98 I was driving...it's also a V8, but the 4.6 3v is a whole new animal. It's getting to be an easy decision to want to put a 4.6 in my next Mustang project....if I could find a decent 32v from either a wrecked Mach 1, or even a Mark VIII....damn it, I think I need to go engine hunting in the spring!! ;)

Off road capability was severely compromised by the independent suspension was introduced on the third gen and continued to the fourth. Also, third and fourth gens have weak axles that can't handle big tires. This being said, not a lot of people choose these as off road toys and, therefore, off road companies don't make anything for them other than strut spacers. There is no money to be made.

If off road capability was important to me, I wouldn't pick any Explorer to do this job. There are better choices to throw money at and get better results.

If off road capability was important to me, I wouldn't pick any Explorer to do this job. There are better choices to throw money at and get better results.
I mean, first and second gens are damn competitive, especially for how inexpensive they are now.

It's always been a compromise...

For me, a three row SUV with "real 4x4, a V8, (and a real body on frame build) is important to my needs. I have 4 kids and we have outdoor hobbies. Boat, camper, car trailer, etc.

BTW, my 06 will pull an 18' trailer with a fox Mustang like it's not even back here. Stopping is a little less than desired, but I'm going to improve the braking in the spring.

As the trend in SUVs tends more to glorified station wagons, expect the 4th gens to be the last bastion of a capable (Ford) family hauler and weekend toy puller for folks like me with a herd and weekend plans lol.

Sure, the ecoboom Exploders are nice, but way way put of my price range, and by the time they get there, I'll need to spend more to fix one than what my 06 cost me back in March.

My 98 has been good to me, but all 6 of us can't fit in it, or I'd STILL be driving it. As it is, I take it to work 2-3 times a week, just so it's not sitting rotting away and whatnot. It's too nice for that.

My opinion is that if you want a true die hard, absolute kick ass trail rig, a 1st or 2nd Gen is the way to go. There's literally millions of them still out there. The 3rd Gens, and to a bigger degree 4th gens are just not as common and as stated have IRS which does preclude the toughness of a solid axle rear and ground clearance. But they're still capable for snow and stuff, rough gravel roads, and mild 4x4 usage. Plus they have some pretty decent towing (with V8) that can't be overlooked for the outdoors family people.

I mean, there's always an Expedition EL, and eventually I'll have to move up, but for now.....my 4th Gen is **** hot and does all I ask it to without a problem. It's definitely the best vehicle I've ever owned.

I mean, first and second gens are damn competitive, especially for how inexpensive they are now.

I am not saying they can't be made competitive but there are better options, IMO, that start you much further along toward a capable off road vehicle. The really big Achilles's Heel for the bulk of Explorers is the 4.0L SOHC engine from a long term reliability aspect. Don't get me wrong. I am a Ford guy through and through but I have to acknowledge there are better options if brand loyalty isn't part of the decision process.

I was super excited when I got mine because it had the 4.6L 3V V8 from the mustang so I figured there’d be tons of aftermarket support and that there would be a lot of threads about people who’ve tuned 4th Gen explorers but I find this generation on the forum to be a ghost town compared to the 2nd gen forums. Makes sense since the model year 2000 Explorer was the year that they sold the most of them, which tapered off heavily during the Great Recession. That being said, it’s not going to stop me from trying to build the baddest ass naturally aspirated 4th Gen on the road and cataloging my experiences here!

The comparison between the 2nd and 4th gen Explorers is somewhat like comparing the Fox body Mustangs and the 2005+ Mustangs. The Fox body forums are extremely active while the 2005-2010 Mustang forums are also ghost towns. I have a 2007 Steeda Mustang and a Fox body 5.0L (bought new) and there just aren't many mods for the 2007. Especially engine mods. There are a few supercharger kits for the 3Vs that get you into the mid 400 hp range. Many are twin screw based which make a massive amount of torque from idle to red line. I ran a Kenne Bell 2.2L twin screw on my '89 LX for years and it was a blast to drive. It made peak torque of 462 ft-lbs at 2,100 rpm and never went below 400 ft-lbs to red line. I am sure that one of the 3V Mustang kits could be adapted to a 4th gen Explorer since it fits in the engine bay of a Mustang while still allowing the use of the stock hood. My advice is to just buy a twin screw blower and run it at around 8 psi. It is the best bang for the buck option, IMO. The insane amount of torque these things make is addictive and incredibly fun to drive on, and off, the road.

There is a Brenspeed supercharger kit I’d love to install, and I’ve seen on YouTube instances of people modifying an edelbrock kit that was originally designed to fit the ‘05-10 mustangs, with a little bit of work and minor modifications.

I don’t have the money to go forced induction just yet, and I recently bought this 2008 so I need to assess if it’s going to give me any problems first before I start throwing money at it.

If there are any weak links the blower will find them. :) Been there with my 5.0L. The first thing it took out was the T-5 transmission. I replaced it with a T-56 and solved that problem but then others showed up.

LOL, the T5 is a weak link with bolt ons, let alone a blower.

Yup. I thought I could limp along with it for a while but the lure of all that torque was too much for me to resist. Third gear went out with a bang.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I tore one up with P heads, cobra intake, E cam and 3.55's. It's been beefed up, but the next plan is increased air pressure in the holes....i think i probably ought to look at a T56 swap myself. Or make the jump to the dark side with a build AOD-E and 4.10's...hmmm...

Back