Noise diagnosis - wheel bearing??? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise diagnosis - wheel bearing???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like one of them covers the older explorers, and the other covers the newer ones, with just some 02 models overlapping. I'd be wary of that. Look for the 02-05 stuff, or check further into if there was a crossover part the first year. Best guess is that you need to get the 02-05 style if you have the newer, bigger explorer.

Sport Trac Explorers probably use the older SUV style, because they retained that body style. That might be the source of confusion. Don't trust Ebay part numbers either, go directly to the manufacturers website. Timken is very good stuff. Don't trust the China stuff!

i just started the front wheel bearing replacement. as soon as i start i find trouble and need some assistance. i pulled off the brake bracket and removed the axle nut. i cant seem to get to the 3 bolts to remove the hub. the nuts are so close to the axle. so i tried to remove the upper balljoint to i can pull back and maybe make some room for a ratchet on those 3 bolts. i started backing off the nut on the balljoint and got stuck. i then went to put it back on andn the stud spins. i have tried everything from vise grip to actually tring to weld the vise grips to the stud so i can put the nut back on. it is only off about 1/4 of an inch. no luck. is this balljoint pressed in. can i just cut this balljoint off and go buy a new one from the auto parts store? does the balljoint need to be pressed in? help. this is what i get for trying to save 150 bucks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well i cut off the nut on the upper ball joint at now i will need to get the upper ball joint replaced. i cant get the lower balljoint out. i have the tie rod off. i just need to get the lower ball joint off and i can take the knuckle off and take it to get the bearing hub pressed out. how does the lower ball joint come out of the knuckle. the upper ball joint took 1 little tape from the bottom and it came right out of the knuckle. the bottom one just wont budge. do i need a tie rod end remover. one of those forks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK after about 3 hrs i got the hub bearing out, without removing the lower ball joint. What i did, for new people, is took out the axle nut, removed the tie rod and upper ball joint. i pulled the knuckle down as far as it can go. I then put back the 3 bolts into the hub in about 5 threads. I then hit the heads of the bolts all the way around slowly and evenly. The hub came right out and the new one in its place. All i need to do now is get the upper ball joint pressed out and a new one pressed back in. I will say for those that say its easy i give it to them. I found it to be about a 5 out of 10. Thanks for all the input and information from this post. I now have to tackle the rear. I may wind up leaving this for the pro's.

First I'll start by saying I did the passenger side rear hub and bearing already. I took the knuckle and bearing in to a shop to press out the old, press in the new, it's working fine. Now the drivers side rear bearing is grinding bad. Spent all day yesterday on it. Top ball joint was stuck, I used a tie rod separator and banged it until it loosened, lots of PB blaster, and huge hammer hits. Whoever said do it delicately is not doing this on an old truck, it takes mega hammer hits to loosen it. The rubber boot is mangled so I'm putting another rubber boot over it to cover it.
My problem is the hub is not coming off the spindle. I have a three pronged wheel puller, I broke three tools tightening it, poking in on the cv shaft which has quite a chiseled in point on it now, heated it with propane, hammered it on the sides, hammered it with the tie rod separator since that took lots of abuse when I removed the tie rod end and top ball joint. I'm afraid this will mean a new CV shaft will have to be put in.

Does that mean a whole new left side rear axle? Is there any way to pull apart the CV joint and put a new spindle on it? If so, this would be the best way to do this. I'm afraid if I bring it to a shop they'll just pull the CV shaft and replace it and tell me it was bad ($ka-ching$).

Whoa, hold up! The hub is pressed into the bearing, and the bearing is pressed into the spindle. You should know this, if you already did one side. The axle should not be stuck in the hub. It's just splined. A little PB Blaster at best. The axle can't really push in until the spindle is swinging loose on top, allowing the spindle to come out, not the axle to go in.

Also, you have to be REALLY careful using tie rod or ball joint separators on this entire job. These joints don't have a flange to work with those separators. In other words, you'll destroy the rubber boots, and I don't think you can buy them separately. Which means you'll be buying the joints (ka-ching). The best way to deal with them is to soak the heck out of them (overnight?) with pb blaster, and whack the sides of the joints with a big baby sledge hammer. There's nothing holding them in except corrosion really, not so much pressing. So it's the shock of it, along with the penetrating lube, that does the trick. The rear tie-rod was somewhat of an exception. You can use a separator, but not in the traditional manner. I used the fork on the edge of the joint, not around the middle. In fact, I ripped one boot trying that. And it was not available separately. And the universal aftermarket one I bought in the HELP section failed quickly thereafter.

On the upper ball joint, I vaguely remember smacking the spindle with the hammer. A little hammer wont get it. You need a baby sledge or a deadblow metal hammer.

Back to your main problem, be careful not to hammer the end of the cv axle, or you could distort it. Just pull the entire rear knuckle off the car, with the hub and bearing still in it. The axle should slip out the back of it easily. If it does get stuck, you might try putting the nut back on the axle, flush with the end of the axle, and use a piece of 2x4 wood, and give it a tap with the sledge. I said TAP! The cv joint will NOT tolerate beating that axle in.

I too had an issue with the rear drivers tie rod. I ended up destroying the boot. The boot I found at Napa (some kind of chevy ball joint I think) did fit it pretty good, and then a slathering of black RTV sealed it up good. 13K miles and no problem yet. I just make sure to check it every oil change.

I had a similar problem getting the axle loose from the knuckle. I put the nut back on and used a block of wood after I had the spindle completely free other than the axle. Two person job at this point. ONLY hammer on the nut, that way you dont destroy the threads on the CV Axle. I bet the axle would pull out of the rear end and you could free it off the truck as well??

I too had an issue with the rear drivers tie rod. I ended up destroying the boot. The boot I found at Napa (some kind of chevy ball joint I think) did fit it pretty good, and then a slathering of black RTV sealed it up good. 13K miles and no problem yet. I just make sure to check it every oil change.

I had a similar problem getting the axle loose from the knuckle. I put the nut back on and used a block of wood after I had the spindle completely free other than the axle. Two person job at this point. ONLY hammer on the nut, that way you dont destroy the threads on the CV Axle. I bet the axle would pull out of the rear end and you could free it off the truck as well??

If you run across that NAPA part number, let me know.

Once the knuckle is off, there is nothing holding the CV axle in except for it's circlip, on the axle inside the rear end. A block of wood (1x1?) about 8 - 10 inches long, and a swack with a baby sledge from the bottom, front side of the rear end will pop the cv axle right out. You hit the axle as close to the rear end as possible, on the metal cone part of the inner axle side.

That axle shouldn't really get stuck in the hub though. It's constantly rotating, which should do a good job of stopping it from sticking at the splines. If it is stuck, instead of pulling the axle and knuckle together, you should lube it up good with pb blaster in all the splines the best you can, then put the nut on flush to the end of the axle, and whack it thru a 2x4 with a dead blow hammer. Get the axle splines broke loose from the hub before removing the knuckle!!!

If you run across that NAPA part number, let me know.

Once the knuckle is off, there is nothing holding the CV axle in except for it's circlip, on the axle inside the rear end. A block of wood (1x1?) about 8 - 10 inches long, and a swack with a baby sledge from the bottom, front side of the rear end will pop the cv axle right out. You hit the axle as close to the rear end as possible, on the metal cone part of the inner axle side.

I was amazed that the axle came off while I was hitting on the hub. I put it back on, the CV boot just slid right over the outside. Is there nothing holding it in the rear end?

There is a groove in the rear end side of the CV axle. This groove has an oblong C clip around it, called a circlip. Inside the rear end, there would be another groove cut in the rear end. You push the axle in, until the circlip snaps itself into the rear end groove. That holds the axle in pretty good. To get it out, you tap the axle with a block of wood in the outer direction. That's enough to distort that Circlip back in towards the cv axle groove. The circlip's edges are probably a little rounded, to facilitate this.

When you have the knuckle off, but the cv axle still attached, smacking that knuckle outward would pull the axle out. But again, the axle should stay and the knuckle should come off. You need to pop that axle loose from the knuckle long before you take the knuckle off. In my case, I don't remember that even being necessary. But if your axle is stuck in the hub, just put the nut on the axle and smack it with a hammer thru a block of wood on the nut.

BE CAUTIOUS about smacking that axle around too much. Just because it seems flexible in it's in/out movement doesn't mean that you can't damage it by compressing it. You can. Just hit the end of the axle w/ nut on it just hard enough to release the axle from the hub, and use PB Blaster to facilitate this.

By the way, there is a dust seal on that outer axle shaft that should be checked or replaced. They're $7 at Ford. This seals the CV axle to the back side of the knuckle, which keeps out excess dirt and water from getting to the back side of the wheel bearing. Inspect this seal's condition when doing the job. On my northern truck, it was totally shot. The seal comes off the axle with the help of a thin flathead screwdriver.

And if you have the axle out anyway, it's a very good time to consider replacing the rear end's axle seals. Ford has upgraded these to a 1 piece design, so see if yours is leaking. There is a special tool you really need to buy to install the new axle seals. I did it without buying the tool (which is a bearing driver, with a long extension handle). But I don't recommend it. To do it over, I would buy the tool.

Can someone condense this advice down into a list of some kind? Like for the front and th rear? Example: If doing the rear hubs, consider these brands_________, you must replace all of the following parts_____________ and it's a good idea to replace these other parts____________, but it's not essential. Same for the front too. That would really help.

I need to replace my rear bearings for sure. I was going to the fronts too. Someone told me that you need to buy the entire assembly.. .abs cables and all for the fronts, but for the rears, you just need the hub and bearings (But not the entire assembly!?). I don't want to do that then find out later that I should have also replaced A, B, and C too.

Great Thread!!!! Thanks!

Jason

I had the same exact problem with my 03 explorer. On a r. curve sounded like it was in the left front, in fact i would bet my last dollar that it was in the front. After i replaced both front hubs..... turned out to be the r.r. outer bearing at the wheel. Jack the rear wheels off the ground, spin each rear wheel listen for growling sound, also shake wheels up/down- left/right ck for play. Rear bearings could be resinating through truck.

Hope this helps you.

I think I have the same issue.

I think I have the same problem and I had seen some grease in my driveway that wasn't from the oil or trans. It seemed to drip from the wheels and now my driver's side wheel is so loud it sounds like i have a flat tire.

I am going to have to do some price shopping!

Jack the car up and check each wheel for slop by seeing if the wheel/ tire wiggles vertically (about the vertical axis). If so, you probably need new bearings. I replaced my rear bearings at about 75k and then again at 108k miles.

Tom

A good quick way to narrow down wheel bearing problems is to gently swerve the car (hopefully on a deserted road!) left and right, at 40 - 50 mph. When the weight of the vehicle shifts to one side, the additional weight will make a bad wheel bearing sound even louder. So if you turn the wheel right, the left side of the truck gets heavier, and any bad wheel bearings on the left will get louder.

Once you've determined which side you have the biggest (or only) problem on, then simply listen if it's coming from the front or rear.

In my case, it was coming from both, which had confused me at first. I thought I just had crappy tires that made a lot of noise. Once the LF wheel bearing went bad on me, and I had to replace it, I noticed my 4wd sounding tires now only made noise in the rear. Turns out I had a bad LF, LR, and slightly bad RR wheel bearings. The rear ones are a bear to fix.

Grinding Noise

As I hear a couple stories, I could have a possible Hub issue. It was suggested by a mechanic that may want to replace the front left hub. I inspected and rotated tire and wheel, and I didnt get an indication that it was a hub problem. Did order upper control arms(I was told that the ball joint and control arm was one piece!)because both ball joints were shot. I may need to inspect the right hub, because there is still a possibility it is one of the hubs. Is it recommended to replace BOTH hub assemblies?

Bad wheel bearings/hubs have a lot more load and heat on them when they have the weight and rpm on them of a vehicle going down the road. Unless they're really bad, you won't be as likely to tell if they're ok with the wheel off. Use my swerve test listed above.

While any bad hubs don't have to be replaced in pairs (and usually are not, due to cost), it is likely that one 90,000 mile hub goes bad, the other is probably not far behind. After all, they have the same mileage, weight, and wear. I don't replace them in pairs unless I know that vehicle is going to hit the interstate. It's 4x as much money to have the vehicle fixed on the road (plus towing) than it is to fix it proactively at home yourself. I wouldn't replace anything unless it was starting to groan.

Ford ball joints are junk. The boots give out prematurely, causing the joint to be exposed to dirt. Once the ball joint boots are bad, the joints are going to be bad within a year or less. Unfortunately, the joint is part of the upper control arm. The lower joints are usually replaceable separately. When I buy upper control arms/ball joints, I buy the Moog Problemsolver line. They have a separately replaceable ball joint built into them, so next time it goes bad, you only have to buy a $40 joint, not a whole arm again. Plus, the boots seem to be higher quality. Maybe urethane?

When the ball joints go bad, they start to squeek. If they're let go long enough, they quit squeeking and start clunking. That's not a good place to be. A visual inspection of the ball joint is usually all that is required. You can also grab the wheel (vehicle on jack stands) and tug the top and bottom of the tire to see if there is any freeplay.

Bad hubs/bearings have a groaning bearing noise. Bad control arms/ball joints squeek or clunk. They are easily distinguishable.

what brand should i buy to replace my hubs on my 04 explorer

I have not seen anyone suggestions on what brand is the best replacement for the wheel hub assembly on my 94 explorer ???? please help !!!!!

I just replaced the left front on my 02 E/B and i ordered in an SKF. When i removed it from the box the bearing was clearly marked Timken.

Fit like a glove.

....John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Useful technique to help front hub/bearing assembly replacement

Hi All, and thanks for all the great tips for replacing and diagnosing the growling noises.

I figured out a nice way to help in the front hub/bearing removal process. First, the drive shaft and CV joint can be pushed back to make a greater clearance for the socket access on the three mounting bolts on the hub. Just hit the end of the drive shaft with the nut on and flush to the end, now with a spacer on the end of the drive shaft hit the spacer with a hammer to release the drive shaft from the hub and move it in. The shaft will go in almost flush to the hub on my 2003 explorer hub. Careful on hitting it too hard as you get close to the flush point. I found with a penetrating spray that I could use my hands or the wood handle of the hammer to bump the shaft in until it hit bottom. This makes for a much larger area to access the three bolts holding on the hub and with a 3/8 drive 15mm socket, with an extension I could access all the bolts. This was a big help...

Next trick is to break down the loctite bonding adhesive so you can get the bolts out easily. Most loctite products will break down at about 350 F for removal, so I headed the three areas of the cast iron hub only for about 1 to 2 minutes with a propane torch. this reduced an hour job on the left side down to 10 minutes on the right side as the bolts came out like butter.
** Note: 350F is not very hot for most metals in regards to heat treating issues, and even the aluminum knuckles, depending on the exact alloy, are not going to be effected for a short time at 350 F, but try to keep the heat directed at the cast iron threaded boss on the hub and not on the aluminum knuckles.

These two techniques reduced a three hour fight on the left side to remove the hub bolts to a 15 minute operation on the right side... Now to try the rear bearing replacement...

Back