• Register Today It's free!

Noise when pressing gas pedal

Triple5s

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer V8 XLT
I have a 96 xlt 5.0 AWD and there is a whirring sound that comes and goes when pressing and letting off of the gas pedal, sounds like its on passenger side. I'm not sure what it is but doubt its the bearings (changed some before and doesnt have that kind of sound). Basically Im just looking for any input on this situation, I am a little lost and turning the volume up on the radio just isnt cutting it anymore.

Any info will be helpful and thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If is from bearings, noise it will change when you turn (like HW ramps).

the noise doesnt change when I turn, it is there when im pushing on gas pedal and gone when I let off or coast (like I said originally)...if it was the bearings the noise would be constant with/without gas pedal and maybe go away when turning or something (correct me if Im wrong) plus it doesnt have that kind of sound....

When you say bearings, you mean engine bearings. Does it sound like detonation? Does it go away or is less when you put high octane fuel in. I have a noise in my 99 MM w/5.0. It sounds like detonation but is not consistent at all. It is only at load. Sometimes I can go up a big hill with the throttle all the way down and it hardly makes the sound. Sometimes it makes it with very little load. Almost sounds like a rattle. I have described it like leaves in the wind on concrete. Does it sound like anything I have described?

is it only when your driving?? or does it make the same noise in park and neutral?? also does it matter how fast your going??

Back