noisey clank, tranny or something HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

noisey clank, tranny or something HELP

Mike Halfway

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
'91 sport 4.0L,5.5 suspension(superlift),33x12.50 HI-tech RETREADS, Flowmaster (true duels),Pro comp manuel hubs,etc

Well my baby is is making a very distinct clank when I just put her into gear (no problem in doing so) and as soon as I let out the clutch (and the gear ingauages) the sound erupts, I can feel it in the pedals too. it also makes the same noise while im traveling and let off the gas pedal(there is a slight jolt acompaning the sound).
ALSO when coming to a stop with clutch pressed in ,there is a similar sound but alot quieter and is heard over and over again,until gear is ingaguged again.................the clank is heard also when i leave it in gear and dont use the e-brake and it rocks back slightly...............HELP ME PLEASE

If this just happened all of a sudden it's probably U-joints. You can test them for play by getting under the truck and twisting the drivehshaft. If this is a gradual thing, it's probably just wear and tear inside the rear differential.

Try lubing the slip yoke. Run search for it for more info. Same goes for you noisy Power Steering. search will yield answers about aftermarket pumps etc.

Welcome to the site!

Back