Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

noisey clank, tranny or something HELP

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Mike Halfway, September 16, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mike Halfway

Mike Halfway New Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville,FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '91 Sport
      '91 sport 4.0L,5.5 suspension(superlift),33x12.50 HI-tech RETREADS, Flowmaster (true duels),Pro comp manuel hubs,etc

Well my baby is is making a very distinct clank when I just put her into gear (no problem in doing so) and as soon as I let out the clutch (and the gear ingauages) the sound erupts, I can feel it in the pedals too. it also makes the same noise while im traveling and let off the gas pedal(there is a slight jolt acompaning the sound).
      ALSO when coming to a stop with clutch pressed in ,there is a similar sound but alot quieter and is heard over and over again,until gear is ingaguged again.................the clank is heard also when i leave it in gear and dont use the e-brake and it rocks back slightly...............HELP ME PLEASE

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason_25

Jason_25 Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member

City, State:
      New Bern, NC
      '95 Explorer "Expedition"
      If this just happened all of a sudden it's probably U-joints. You can test them for play by getting under the truck and twisting the drivehshaft. If this is a gradual thing, it's probably just wear and tear inside the rear differential.

4. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      Try lubing the slip yoke. Run search for it for more info. Same goes for you noisy Power Steering. search will yield answers about aftermarket pumps etc.

Welcome to the site!